You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
GOL Readers 2019 GOTY Award - what categories do you want to see?
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
Salvatos Jan 5, 2020
I like how Steam have an award for older games that are still receiving new content (Labour of Love I think). It seems especially meaningful for GoL since it implies continued support, which we don’t always get. But I suppose best DLC and best update cover that.

+1 for the previous suggestions of Favourite indie and Most persistent developer.

Maybe an Unexpected port category?

Quoting: Liam DaweI am aware it's 2020, we run our award when the year is actually over, it just makes more sense and it's fair to games released throughout December then too. I find some others run theirs far too early.
I share the sentiment!
Liam Dawe Jan 11, 2020
Current category list is this:

Favourite Developer
Favourite FOSS game
Favourite FOSS game engine reimplementation
Favourite FOSS project
Best DLC release of 2019
Best update received in 2019
Favourite long-term supported game
Best game release of 2019

What else should we have? Ideally I want to launch it for people to actually start nominating games in a week or two :)
Rooster Jan 11, 2020
Indies and FOSS games even more so are often accused of not being shiny and pretty enough. So how about a Best Graphics category? Like best graphics for FOSS game, or best graphics for Linux native game.

Otherwise, +1 for Unexpected port.

EDIT: Oh and Best day 1 Linux release.

Last edited by Rooster on 11 January 2020 at 6:29 pm UTC
Liam Dawe Jan 11, 2020
Added:

Best graphics for a FOSS game
Overall best graphics on Linux released in 2019
Absolute favourite game for Linux released in 2019

That's 11 categories now, I don't want to do many more otherwise we overload people.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 11 January 2020 at 7:15 pm UTC
Koopacabras Jan 11, 2020
maybe for another time but having a vote on best article written seems nice ... maybe a way to express gratitude for some of the written articles contributions made. for me this article was a delight to read https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/going-where-no-steam-play-has-gone-before-with-elite-dangerous.14835
eldaking Jan 12, 2020
Quoting: Liam DaweAdded:

Best graphics for a FOSS game
Overall best graphics on Linux released in 2019

That's 11 categories now, I don't want to do many more otherwise we overload people.

Maybe organize them into groups?

General:
Best game/Absolute favorite
Best developer
Best graphics

Support:
Best DLC
Best update
Best long-term supported game

FOSS:
Best FOSS game
Best FOSS clone/recreation
Best FOSS project
Best FOSS graphics

Maybe add a category for crowdfunded games? Not sure if some categories should be divided to have indie-specific options. Being a vote, I feel like pitting the famous names against games/studios that less people heard about is a bit unfair.

I'm also not a fan of having a category for best "graphics". I'd rather it be "visual presentation", or at least separate "best graphical fidelity" from "best art". When talking about graphics, I often have the impression people are talking about completely different things.
Pangaea Jan 12, 2020
With graphics/whatever being a category, how about another for best gameplay or innovation or something like that?

Yes, it would add another category, but personally I care more about gameplay and story in the games I play than the most impressive graphics (though that is nice too of course).

It's a catch-all category where more or less all games apply. For one person it may be a shooter, for another a rpg, and for another a strategy game.
Liam Dawe Jan 12, 2020
Okay so here's what I've done. I've overhauled it, again, to add support for groups as suggested as that was a good idea. Makes it a little cleaner, feels less overwhelming with many categories.

I also agree best Graphics was a bit too ambiguous.

Everything Else:

Best DLC release of 2019
Favourite Developer
Most impressive soundtrack in a 2019 release
Most innovative gameplay for a 2019 release
Overall best visual style for a game release in 2019

FOSS

Best visual style for a FOSS game
Favourite FOSS game
Favourite FOSS game engine reimplementation
Favourite FOSS project

Support
Best update received in 2019
Favourite long-term supported game

Ideally, I want to get 2 more into the Everything Else category and 2 more in the Support category. Then I think we should be good to go.
eldaking Jan 12, 2020
Maybe "Best storytelling" for the general category.

As for update... best remake/remaster, best competitive season (or something like that, I'm not really up to date on the multiplayer stuff), and/or best early access graduate (taken inspiration from Steam). I'd personally put DLC in support, but it works either way.
-Daniel-Palacio- Jan 15, 2020
Quoting: eldakingAs for update... best remake/remaster...
I would like to see this one, but for games which were originally released 10+ years ago.

Examples from previous years: the Turok saga or The Original Strife: Veteran Edition.

Also, since nobody mentioned these categories, I think they could be pretty informative as well:
  • Best short game of 2019

• Obviously, useful for people with limited time to play. They shouldn't be longer than 2 hours. This page could be used as reference to objectively measure the duration.

Example from a previous year: Reveal the Deep.

• Best game of 2019 to play with your kids

• Several people mentioned they like to share some time with their kids playing games, and also the subgenre features some titles with excellent reviews.

Example from a previous year: Ultimate Chicken Horse

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.