Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Cyberpunk 2077 in Wine
Page: «4/30»
  Go to:
TobyGornow Dec 13, 2020
Quoting: scaine
Quoting: damarrinFirst HL Alyx and now this. I'm really considering getting an AMD card. I'm sure it'll have problems of its own, however.

I've been running a 5700XT after over 10 years of Nvidia cards and while I was aware of some AMD issues a few years ago, none of my gameplay experience in the past 8 months or so has suffered a single AMD-related glitch. I definitely recommend AMD at this point. It's a great experience.

I second what Scaine said, same card, same long time relation with Nvidia and same bug-free AMD experience.
Ehvis Dec 13, 2020
Quoting: damarrinFirst HL Alyx and now this. I'm really considering getting an AMD card. I'm sure it'll have problems of its own, however.

While there are many good reasons to do so, these two aren't really it. HL:Alyx is buttersmooth on NVIDIA and always has been. And the CP2077 is apparently more the result of a buggy game and therefore more chance than anything else. Besides AC Valhalla is the other way around.

Best reason is that they actually make high performing GPUs now!
Xpander Dec 13, 2020
The only things im affraid on switching to AMD is losing CUDA and the Nvenc.
Well i can't switch anyway atm. Theres no cards to buy with sane prices...so theres that :D
Avehicle7887 Dec 13, 2020
Quoting: XpanderThe only things im affraid on switching to AMD is losing CUDA and the Nvenc.
Well i can't switch anyway atm. Theres no cards to buy with sane prices...so theres that :D

I've been recording without Nvenc for a while, in order to minimize fps loss I run both the game and ssr by manually assigning cores via taskset. In most of the times the performance loss is very small.

It's not as good as Nvenc but far from unusable.
damarrin Dec 13, 2020
Quoting: Ehvis

While there are many good reasons to do so, these two aren't really it. HL:Alyx is buttersmooth on NVIDIA and always has been. And the CP2077 is apparently more the result of a buggy game and therefore more chance than anything else. Besides AC Valhalla is the other way around.

Best reason is that they actually make high performing GPUs now!

HLA wasn't buttersmooth for me and I'd really like to replay it with better gfx perf. And I don't care about AC and I sort-of care about CP2077. So in my particular case they might be.
Shmerl Dec 13, 2020
Quoting: Avehicle7887I've been recording without Nvenc for a while, in order to minimize fps loss I run both the game and ssr by manually assigning cores via taskset. In most of the times the performance loss is very small.

Is that through VAAPI encoder? I haven't tested it much, but I thought it should unload the CPU.
tuubi Dec 13, 2020
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: Avehicle7887I've been recording without Nvenc for a while, in order to minimize fps loss I run both the game and ssr by manually assigning cores via taskset. In most of the times the performance loss is very small.

Is that through VAAPI encoder? I haven't tested it much, but I thought it should unload the CPU.
I just checked out of curiosity, and VAAPI seems to work just fine for h264/h265 encoding on my 5700XT, but I have no idea about the relative quality of these implementations. You usually need a significantly higher bitrate for similar video quality compared to a good software encoder. I'm not curious enough to do a proper comparison. :P
Avehicle7887 Dec 13, 2020
Quoting: Shmerl

Never tried VAAPI encoder, unfortunately simplescreenrecorder doesn't seem to support it either.

All the videos I upload to my youtube use purely the cpu. I guess if you have a modern high core/thread cpu this is not a big deal, but I can't say the same for an old quad core i5, where a gpu encoder would be a huge benefit.

I guess I'll have to switch to OBS someday.....yeah yeah I know, it would be about time

Last edited by Avehicle7887 on 13 December 2020 at 11:46 pm UTC
pete910 Dec 14, 2020
VAAPI encoder works well on AMD to be fair, used it for a long while now. Like NVENC still not as good as CPU though. To be honest if you have any modern'ish CPU you won't take a big hit in perf either. If you have a 12 core or up virtually nil.

On a side note, refunded CP2077, Just not ready yet. I feel they should have postponed release for more polish.
Avehicle7887 Dec 14, 2020
Quoting: pete910VAAPI encoder works well on AMD to be fair, used it for a long while now. Like NVENC still not as good as CPU though. To be honest if you have any modern'ish CPU you won't take a big hit in perf either. If you have a 12 core or up virtually nil.

Which software do you use for VAAPI recording? I only tried simplescreenrecorder which seems to support nvenc but not vaapi.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.