Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Epic Games Store has reviews
kneekoo Jan 30, 2020
I noticed earlier today that EGS has 3rd party reviews "provided by OpenCritic". First of all, it's great finally having reviews! Second of all, why not have their own reviews system? And is OpenCritic reliable? I went to their website and I got an "Error 504 Ray ID... Gateway time-out", I waited for a minute or two and clicked "Retry for a live version" - same error message. A few hours later, it worked.

The reviews are most likely cached on the EGS side, but why rely on a 3rd party for reviews? It's certainly better than nothing, especially if the reviews are done properly, but what about the exclusive games and custom-tailored games that behave differently on EGS compared to other stores? We know games can have significant differences between platforms, so this is important.

So it's a step forward, but I hope EG will do better.

Last edited by kneekoo on 31 January 2020 at 2:42 am UTC
robvv Jan 31, 2020
On the subject of reviews, it amuses me that EGS-exclusive games are still reviewed and discussed on Steam forums :-)
Salvatos Jan 31, 2020
Quoting: kneekooSecond of all, why not have their own reviews system? (...) why rely on a 3rd party for reviews?
No need to program it, no need to moderate the reviews, no responsibility if something like review bombing happens on the third-party site. i.e. less work, less cost. They can now happily claim that they have reviews on the store and wash their hands of any additional effort.
Liam Dawe Jan 31, 2020
Quoting: Salvatos
Quoting: kneekooSecond of all, why not have their own reviews system? (...) why rely on a 3rd party for reviews?
No need to program it, no need to moderate the reviews, no responsibility if something like review bombing happens on the third-party site. i.e. less work, less cost. They can now happily claim that they have reviews on the store and wash their hands of any additional effort.
Pretty much. It's an opt-in system too, developers don't have to use it and the reviews from from critics not users.
Koopacabras Jan 31, 2020
I recently heard of some friends getting Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order really really cheap... but I'm not going to touch epic even if they offer tons of games for free. They are the most anti linux company right now and mayor threat for linux gaming. I recommend linux users to stay away from epic, their clear goal is to destroy valve.. if valve is gone we loose a key player on our side. That's why they are a mayor threat their objetive number 1 is to destroy valve. so sorry I'll pass. I don't like shooting my foot.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 1 February 2020 at 8:00 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.