Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Seer's Isle Won't Launch
PublicNuisance Mar 18, 2020
I just tried to run Seer's Isle on Steam and I get a crash when launching the native Linux version. I tried running it through Terminal and got the following error:

"Segmentation fault (core dumped)"

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X | 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15 | MSI RX 580 8GB Gaming X | Mesa 19.3.5 | Manjaro 19.0.2 | Mate 1.24.0 | Kernel 5.5.8-1-MANJARO

I also tried running my copy from Itch.io and it crashes as well. I played the game back when I was on Mesa 18.3.3 and Kernel 4.20.11-1-MANJARO so maybe some change from then to now in the kernel or drivers caused this. I also installed Ubuntu 19.10 on a spare drive and tried there and still received the "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" error when trying to launch the game.

I also tried running the game on Linux Mint and Trisquel and got a different error:

"Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)"

AMD FX-6100 | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Radeon HD4350 | Mesa 19.2.8 | Linux Mint 19.3 | Mate 1.22.2 | Kernel 5.3.0-42

Users on Steam are also having this issue:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/738650/discussions/0/2646360821016115821/

I contacted the developer but their response was that Electron didn't support Manjaro, Trisquel or MInt only Ubuntu, Fedora and Debian so that was the cause. I just told them about my test with Ubuntu so maybe that will get some help.

Any idea what else I can try or has anybody had any experience with Electron programs having issues ?
wawoozle Jun 5, 2020
Hello, got the same issue. It seems the reason is compatibility with the version of Electron used in Seers Isle. I fixed it by downloading the binary of one of the latest Atom Text Editors using Electron 2 (I used https://github.com/atom/atom/releases/tag/v1.36.0-beta0 ) and copying the libnode.so into the games folder (.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Seers Isle).
PublicNuisance Jun 6, 2020
Quoting: wawoozleHello, got the same issue. It seems the reason is compatibility with the version of Electron used in Seers Isle. I fixed it by downloading the binary of one of the latest Atom Text Editors using Electron 2 (I used https://github.com/atom/atom/releases/tag/v1.36.0-beta0 ) and copying the libnode.so into the games folder (.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Seers Isle).

Where is the libnode.so file located in the Atom folder structure ?
wawoozle Jun 6, 2020
I used the binary tar.gz, here libnode.so is directly in the root
PublicNuisance Jun 6, 2020
Quoting: wawoozleI used the binary tar.gz, here libnode.so is directly in the root

Thank you, I found it now. I copied it into the Steam folder for the game and it still crashes at launch but now with a different error:

"./Along the Edge: symbol lookup error: ./Along the Edge: undefined symbol: _ZN6icu_588ByteSink15GetAppendBufferEiiPciPi"

I also tried with the Itch.io version and got the same error. I also tried on my Laptop using Linux Mint and got the same error there.
wawoozle Jun 6, 2020
Huh. Why "Along the Edge"? I know it's the same Developer but the Thread was about "Seers Isle". Did you copy the libnode there and tried to start it?
PublicNuisance Jun 7, 2020
Quoting: wawoozleHuh. Why "Along the Edge"? I know it's the same Developer but the Thread was about "Seers Isle". Did you copy the libnode there and tried to start it?

Sorry, I had been having the same issue before with both Seer's Isle and Along The Edge. I installed the wrong game to test this on. I just tried it with Seer's Isle and it does allow me to launch Seer's Isle on the Itch.io version. The Steam version just displays colored blocks on screen with the audio playing in the background. Good enough as I prefer Itch.io.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.