Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
What Sound Cards Are You Using?
Showflash Sep 28, 2013
:P

I'm looking to buy a low end PCIe sound card for my system and it needs to be Linux and Windows compatible.  I need to use a low end card because I cannot draw more than 15 watts...its for a Dell T-410 server.  Any suggestions are probably OK as long as they are Linux and Win compatible.

My system has four PCIe Generation 2 slots, so which card should I use?

Does the Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme PCI Express Audio sound card from Creative Labs work?  It's pretty cheap and I just need basic sound.  No audio built in to the motherboard so I need a card.

Thanks!
Hamish Sep 28, 2013
Creative have done some rather nasty things in the past, but the hardware might work.
Showflash Sep 28, 2013
Hamish,

What sound card are you using?  It will probably work in mine... I just have to be sure to get the PCIe version.

Thanks,
Thomas
Hamish Sep 28, 2013
Currently? I am just using on-board sound.

My brother does have a Sound Blaster which he does use with Linux though.
Speedster Sep 28, 2013
On-board sound here, but this Asus Xonar DX card looks reasonable & Alsa page says it is supported

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006R
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-Asus

Don't see the power spec listed on that page though, and it may be too much as it requires
"One available 4-pin power cable from PC's power supply unit" rather than PCIe power

Showflash Sep 29, 2013
Thank you guys!

I was wondering about both cards mentioned.  Both are available at the local Fry's here in Illinois.

Not sure what to do about the additional power requirements of the Asus card.  It is a big card.  Full length.  I'll have to take a look at the documents that I have on the T-410 and see if I can pull extra power from the mobo before I purchase that card.  I've seen the placement for the plugs in the hardware owners manual, just didn't pay attention to what they were for.  I also do not know if by adding mobo power to the card in addition to the slot, if that exceeds the slots requirements.

I have three systems, and earlier I took the sound card out of the XPS Gen 3 that I have.  It's a Sound Blaster Audigy 2, and it also had additional wires connected to it.  I assumed that the additional wires were for connection to the CD/DVD player...but now after Speedster's statements, I'm wondering, and maybe I'll open the case back up and see where all of those wires terminate at.  Even if they go to the CD/DVD player, one or more could be power.  OY!  Hahahaha.... wish there was a simple solution to this.

Ah, but there is!  Buy a new high end gaming system...hahaha.  Can't do right now because I'm "in school" sort of.  Actually out of work, and studying for the next sys admin gig.

Thanks Again!
Speedster Sep 29, 2013
Quoting: Quote from ShowflashNot sure what to do about the additional power requirements of the Asus card.  It is a big card.  Full length.  I'll have to take a look at the documents that I have on the T-410 and see if I can pull extra power from the mobo before I purchase that card.  I've seen the placement for the plugs in the hardware owners manual, just didn't pay attention to what they were for.  I also do not know if by adding mobo power to the card in addition to the slot, if that exceeds the slots requirements.

That's ok, as long as you're staying in spec for the overall power from your supply. My new video card has an auxilliary power cable so that it wouldn't be constrained by PCIe slot power, even the higher power available for the x16 video card slot.
Showflash Sep 29, 2013
Speedster,

Thank you.  I did not know how motherboard power worked relative to PCIe slots.

Sincerely,
Thomas
Mike Frett Sep 29, 2013
The same one I've been using for many years. An M-Audio revolution 7.1 ;)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.