Help Ubuntu 19.10 + Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz + MSI B450-A PRO MAX + RX 570
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
tuxintuxedo May 12, 2020
Correct me if I am wrong, but all I see now is the integrated one. Everything is okay with it.
Did you insert the RX570? Isn't it loose or lacking power? Because currently it is not seen by the system.

Last edited by tuxintuxedo on 12 May 2020 at 11:59 am UTC
garrop May 12, 2020
You are 100% right.

Give me a few moments and I will install the RX 570 and post back with the results. I did it that way because I have not been able to get any screen image with the GC in place so far.

See ya in a bit
Jared May 12, 2020
Any updates to whether the problem was solved?
tuxintuxedo May 12, 2020
Okay.
Even if you get black screen, can you reach the GRUB menu? It should appear right after turning the PC on while pressing Escape (or Shift). I am not talking about the BIOS/UEFI.
garrop May 12, 2020
Here I go:

My BIOS has Integrated Graphics Configuration with "Integrated Graphics" in [Auto Mode]. If I disable it, I get the same results that I am about to explain:

WITH THE RX570 plugged in:

I reach grub no problem and let it go:

Right into it, first warning message:

1- "Completion wait loop time_out" about a gazillion times

2- After a while I reach this screen where my message is:

iommu ivhdo:AMD-Vi event logged [IOTLB_INV_TIMEOUT device=25.00 address 0x40cd9e3f0

3- I am able to see some messages in between, "sofreset failed", i.e.

4- I finally make it to the point of initramfs where my command capabilities are limited and no way of performing much in the line of your proposals.

5- When I unplug the thing and try to launch Ubuntu with the integrated one, I get the info that /dev/sd5 requires manual fsck (from the same initramgfs screen. I fsck the drive and it tells me that some directory was corrupted.

6- Once fsck completed, reboot brings me back to Ubuntu 20.04 with the integrated one and my RX570 out of the game completely.

Did I just happen to receive a faulty unit? As I stated right from the beginning, I has just been purchased, no miles on it...

Many thanks
garrop May 12, 2020
Forgot to mention that if I choose recovery mode in the grub menu, I get the same results.

Thanks
tuxintuxedo May 12, 2020
Could you try it with Ubuntu 18.04.2 or .3 (the number is important)? With the RX570 plugged in. Live mode is enough.
It might be a kernel bug affecting you so this should help us learn more. The card itself should already be supported for a while now.
Also, iommu problems might be caused by the motherboard or CPU.
The reason I asked about GRUB is because you could try some boot parameters with it.

Last edited by tuxintuxedo on 12 May 2020 at 1:21 pm UTC
Koopacabras May 12, 2020
Quote1- "Completion wait loop time_out" about a gazillion times

2- After a while I reach this screen where my message is:

iommu ivhdo:AMD-Vi event logged [IOTLB_INV_TIMEOUT device=25.00 address 0x40cd9e3f0

maybe you should try booting with iommu=pt I get the same error if I don't boot with that option on grub.
x_wing May 12, 2020
Quoting: garropMy BIOS has Integrated Graphics Configuration with "Integrated Graphics" in [Auto Mode]. If I disable it, I get the same results that I am about to explain:

If you leave your integrated graphics enabled, are you able to boot to your OS with the RX 570? There should be no problem to have both GPUs enabled and if there is a hardware issue with the 570, the integrated will allow us to have a UI in order to do some checks.
garrop May 12, 2020
@tuxintuxedo: I gave it a try with Live USB Ubuntu 18.04.03. Same errors on black screen as previously stated (1 and 2) and finally I reach the Ubuntu initial screen with the 5 dots below the logo, but never reach the login screen.

@The_Aquabat: I will do as proposed and report back in a minute.

@x_wing: I recall I had the same results every time the RX 570 is there, but will retry and report back in a minute.

Thanks
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.