Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
[DONE] Inconsistent Markdown support?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Shmerl May 17, 2020
Looks like comments and forum posts now use Markdown at least for links, but it doensn't work for example for images.

I tried this, and it doesn't work:

![](https://i.imgur.com/StUEEo9.jpg)

The link however works fine
[test link](https://i.imgur.com/StUEEo9.jpg)

test link

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 18 May 2020 at 3:24 pm UTC
Liam Dawe May 18, 2020
Hi, this has now been implemented.
Shmerl May 18, 2020
Thanks!
Liam Dawe May 18, 2020
I've gone back and converted all forum posts and comments from img bbcode to markdown now too, bbcode for images has been removed. Let me know if you encounter any issues.
Shmerl May 18, 2020
By the way, why not go Markdown all the way then? It's going to be more consistent than using part of the syntax with bbcode and part with markdown.

For example for code it's easier to do:

foo bar() {
}

or

`foo`

than

[code]
foo bar() {
}
[ /code]

or

[code]foo[ /code]

Are you using some standard engine for that, or you have to implement each syntax rule explicitly?

Last edited by Shmerl on 18 May 2020 at 4:24 pm UTC
Liam Dawe May 18, 2020
We are, things like that take time. You can't just slot markdown into an old system and have it work. Each individual one needs implementing, testing and then converting from bbcode to ensure no breakage. We have ~10 years of posts to ensure they keep working and rendering doesn't break.
Shmerl May 18, 2020
Got it, thanks for working on it!
randyl May 18, 2020
The markdown work is cool. Thanks!
Liam Dawe May 20, 2020
Codeblocks moved to markdown now too. Hooray for backticks.
Shmerl May 20, 2020
Test

foo bar() {
}

before `foo bar()` after

Last edited by Shmerl on 20 May 2020 at 4:47 pm UTC
Shmerl May 20, 2020
Great, thanks!

Big block works, but small section doesn't seem to. But it's different from bbcode in that regards (bbcode doesn't support inline code at all as far as I know).

Last edited by Shmerl on 20 May 2020 at 4:50 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.