You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Select audio source when (un)pluggin headphones?
Guppy Jul 21, 2020
In Linux Mint 20 - when I plugin in my head phones they get selected as default output, which is nice.

How ever when I unplug them it selects "Line Out Buit-in Audio", even though it came from ndivida hdmi output.

Where is this configured?

Way back in the day I used an audio routing software called plugs (or possibly jacks) to route my audio and this let me do stuff like this - changing audio routes, etc when pluggin in/out sources. But I also remember it being a *lot* of text file editing to get it working - is there really still no snappy gui for something this basic ?
Guppy Jul 22, 2020
My settins looks notting like that :s

I start on sound via the hdmi monitor (1), plugin in my head phones (2) so I can make sip calls without feed back and finally when I unplug them it goes to "Line Out" (3)

the settings tab is just a general amplification slider.

I dont really know how LM 20 works sound wise but it seems to use pulse audio for mixing and alsa as a backend.

I installed pavucontrol ( the one your using )

Says "Analog stereo duplex" is unavailable .

After some fiddling I realized that analogue line out was "plugged in" - removing the empty adapter also removed the line out as an option.. now it defaults to the S/-PDIF port which has never been used.

One step forward two steps back it seems :|

ps. apologies for the giant images seems https://onpaste.com/ isn't hidpi aware
damarrin Jul 22, 2020
I have been fighting with this for a long time now and haven’t found a solution.
Ehvis Jul 22, 2020
One of the more frustrating pulse madness things. For me it switches my audio to hdmi when my monitor comes back from power save. Which is pointless since my monitor doesn't have any audio. There is no configuration option to blacklist the hdmi port so that it won't do that. All I can do is delete the entire config file for that port, but any updates will put it back. Before I had a VR headset, I used to blacklist the entire kernel driver. Haven't found a satisfactory solution yet. Although I haven't put to much time in finding one yet.
tuubi Jul 22, 2020
Quoting: EhvisOne of the more frustrating pulse madness things. For me it switches my audio to hdmi when my monitor comes back from power save. Which is pointless since my monitor doesn't have any audio. There is no configuration option to blacklist the hdmi port so that it won't do that. All I can do is delete the entire config file for that port, but any updates will put it back. Before I had a VR headset, I used to blacklist the entire kernel driver. Haven't found a satisfactory solution yet. Although I haven't put to much time in finding one yet.
Setting the HDMI device's profile to "off" in pavucontrol's Configuration tab doesn't do anything? For me that removes the device completely and it won't be available as an output.
Ehvis Jul 22, 2020
Quoting: tuubiSetting the HDMI device's profile to "off" in pavucontrol's Configuration tab doesn't do anything? For me that removes the device completely and it won't be available as an output.

I need one of my HDMI ports for the VR headset.
Guppy Jul 22, 2020
Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: EhvisOne of the more frustrating pulse madness things. For me it switches my audio to hdmi when my monitor comes back from power save. Which is pointless since my monitor doesn't have any audio. There is no configuration option to blacklist the hdmi port so that it won't do that. All I can do is delete the entire config file for that port, but any updates will put it back. Before I had a VR headset, I used to blacklist the entire kernel driver. Haven't found a satisfactory solution yet. Although I haven't put to much time in finding one yet.
Setting the HDMI device's profile to "off" in pavucontrol's Configuration tab doesn't do anything? For me that removes the device completely and it won't be available as an output.

Thats sort of the problem in a nutshell, each device have multiple outputs but you can only disable entire devices.
tuubi Jul 22, 2020
Quoting: Ehvis
Quoting: tuubiSetting the HDMI device's profile to "off" in pavucontrol's Configuration tab doesn't do anything? For me that removes the device completely and it won't be available as an output.

I need one of my HDMI ports for the VR headset.
Have you tried setting priorities for your devices in /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/*.conf? These will be overwritten by updates, but I suppose files in ~/.local/share/pulseaudio should have higher priority if pulseaudio follows the xdg directory spec properly. Custom configuration in ~/.config/pulse seems to work, so maybe it does.

I suppose you could disable module-switch-on-port-available in default.pa if you want to disable automatic switching completely.

Quoting: GuppyThats sort of the problem in a nutshell, each device have multiple outputs but you can only disable entire devices.
You can also select a profile that targets a specific output on that device in pavucontrol. This should in effect disable everything but the selected port. This probably doesn't cover all use cases, but should suffice for most of us.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.