Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Linux patch blocking shims now included in mainline 5.9.
sub Aug 15, 2020
Linus Torvalds just applied this pull request to mainline.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-59-Proprietary-Shim-Taint

According to the linux graphics stack devs this now will cause a real issue for NVIDIA's proprietary driver beyond just marking it "tainted".

I already love it. :)

NVIDIA, just go for a dual stack approach like AMD or GTFO.

Last edited by sub on 15 August 2020 at 11:24 am UTC
Torqachu Aug 15, 2020
I can't afford a new gpu, and only buy stuff used by trusted people (windows user who have nvidia at the moment).
What will happen to me? will i have to keep a windows partition to play now that proton is there and i could delete it?

Am I condemned? am I f****d up?
Will I have to reuse my ati x1800xt?
Liam Dawe Aug 15, 2020
It's nothing whatsoever to do with gaming.
Shmerl Aug 16, 2020
Nvidia should stop fooling around. Time to support Nouveau for them. Their dinosaur blob approach is really getting out of place. Good to see kernel developers being strict about it.

Last edited by Shmerl on 16 August 2020 at 7:03 am UTC
sub Aug 16, 2020
Quoting: Liam DaweIt's nothing whatsoever to do with gaming.

That remains to be seen.
sub Aug 16, 2020
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: sub
Quoting: Liam DaweIt's nothing whatsoever to do with gaming.

That remains to be seen.

Not really, see here for a good summary of why this came about:
https://lwn.net/Articles/827596/

Thanks, mirv!

While not an expert here, I'm aware this came to life due to this cheeky netgpu pull request by an fb employee.

Yet, as far as I got it, they found a loophole with the GPL_* exports and the patch taking countermeasures has been pulled by Linux recently.

I couldn't find any resource of someone trying to compile the Nvidia driver with this recent patch,
but here is a tweet and what Dave Airlie responds.

https://twitter.com/pdp7/status/1294445830871683072

*Maybe* we have fun times ahead.
Alm888 Aug 16, 2020
Quoting: subAccording to the linux graphics stack devs this now will cause a real issue for NVIDIA's proprietary driver beyond just marking it "tainted".
I fail to see how this will cause any inconvenience to nVidia.
What this "patch" does is checks on whether the presumably GPL'ed module imports "symbols" (subroutine names as I understand it) from a proprietary module or not, and if it catches the module in the process of "committing the crime", it bans said "GPL'ed" module from access to kernel functions (alternatively, if the module in question did not import any "infidel symbols" yet, the patch prevents it from ever doing so).

The patch is aimed to eliminate the "GPL-condom" modules that try to mask some proprietary interfaces behind their wrappings.

nVidia does not have the urge to proclaim its shim as "GPL'ed" (trying to avoid "tainting"), so it is "business as usual" for it.
sub Aug 16, 2020
Quoting: Alm888
Quoting: subAccording to the linux graphics stack devs this now will cause a real issue for NVIDIA's proprietary driver beyond just marking it "tainted".
I fail to see how this will cause any inconvenience to nVidia.
What this "patch" does is checks on whether the presumably GPL'ed module imports "symbols" (subroutine names as I understand it) from a proprietary module or not, and if it catches the module in the process of "committing the crime", it bans said "GPL'ed" module from access to kernel functions (alternatively, if the module in question did not import any "infidel symbols" yet, the patch prevents it from ever doing so).

The patch is aimed to eliminate the "GPL-condom" modules that try to mask some proprietary interfaces behind their wrappings.

nVidia does not have the urge to proclaim its shim as "GPL'ed" (trying to avoid "tainting"), so it is "business as usual" for it.

Probably you're correct.
Tbh, I fail to see all implications of this.
Thanks for your input.
Alm888 Aug 16, 2020
Quoting: subThanks for your input.
No problem.

To be honest, reading all this "devtalk" is tiresome for me (as a non-native English speaker), so I might have missed something.

But it would appear this caused the "Oracle vs. Google" discussion of whether to treat interfaces (read: "*.h" files) as copyrightable. The court (as we know) took the side of Google, stating that using interfaces from proprietary products in your product wil not automatically make it a derivative of the used API (how a game using DirectX API is not automatically a DirectX derivative), so some say shims are OK, but the kernel developers want to protect the mainline kernel from (potentially thousands) of attempts to sneak-in some API's from proprietary products.
sub Aug 16, 2020
Yeah, it's a rabbit hole. :D
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.