Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Which laptop to choose for gaming on Linux?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
DMG Aug 17, 2020
Hello!

I lately more and more thinking about buying new laptop for gaming. Right now I have Dell Inspiron 7559 with GeForce GTX 960M, but feel, that new games requires much more. Especially, because most of them are poorly optimized. I know, that desktop computer is better for gaming, but I like to have it where ever I go. So, guys, what you would suggest to buy? I'm thinking about ASUS ROG Strix G15 with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070, but it sells only with windows. Should I be worried, that it will not work with Ubuntu? Or, maybe, you have better suggestions?
garpu Aug 17, 2020
My partner just got an ASUS laptop, and it's pretty sweet. I have no idea how it runs Linux, though. :(
Jared Aug 17, 2020
Why not get a similarly priced laptop with Linux preinstalled such as the one available from system76, Serval 15" . If we were to add a 1TB NVME drive, 16 GB of RAM and a an RTX 2070 can cost around $1782. A similar, if not slightly more expensive, price point to the Asus Strix G15 but one that is known to support Linux.

Or you could just wait for them to release their 4th generation Ryzen laptops.
DMG Aug 17, 2020
Quoting: JaredWhy not get a similarly priced laptop with Linux preinstalled such as the one available from system76, Serval 15" . If we were to add a 1TB NVME drive, 16 GB of RAM and a an RTX 2070 can cost around $1782. A similar, if not slightly more expensive, price point to the Asus Strix G15 but one that is known to support Linux.

I would take it, without thinking, if they would sell it in my country. But they don't sell it Europe and do not have service centre anywhere close. So, that's stooping me from even watching in their direction. I do not want to spend time with sending laptop to United States and waiting it to come back (which could take months), if something will not work.
Jared Aug 17, 2020
Quoting: DMG
Quoting: JaredWhy not get a similarly priced laptop with Linux preinstalled such as the one available from system76, Serval 15" . If we were to add a 1TB NVME drive, 16 GB of RAM and a an RTX 2070 can cost around $1782. A similar, if not slightly more expensive, price point to the Asus Strix G15 but one that is known to support Linux.

I would take it, without thinking, if they would sell it in my country. But they don't sell it Europe and do not have service centre anywhere close. So, that's stooping me from even watching in their direction. I do not want to spend time with sending laptop to United States and waiting it to come back (which could take months), if something will not work.

You can also get a Tuxedo computer for slightly cheaper than what you can get from system76 with the added bonus of them shipping to Europe.
DMG Aug 17, 2020
Quoting: Jared
Quoting: DMG

You can also get a Tuxedo computer for slightly cheaper than what you can get from system76 with the added bonus of them shipping to Europe.

It's not about shipping. Everything can be delivered here. But I want service centre, to be close too. Sending there and back on any problem, loses any beauty of laptop. At least for me, that's important.
DrIggy Aug 17, 2020
You can look into Lenovo Legion series. I know a few guys from work that are using one (with Windows) and are satisfied with it and there were all those news how Lenovo does/will support Linux on all their laptops...
Grazen Aug 18, 2020
I think pretty well every laptop will work in Linux without a problem. I have a Gigabyte that I’ve been using for a few years without a problem - it comes with a 1060. I also have a S76. If you’re going with an Nvidia GPU just be aware that Nvidia Prime and Optimus are fidgety in pretty well every distro I’ve tried except for PoPos.

Quoting: DMGHello!

I lately more and more thinking about buying new laptop for gaming. Right now I have Dell Inspiron 7559 with GeForce GTX 960M, but feel, that new games requires much more. Especially, because most of them are poorly optimized. I know, that desktop computer is better for gaming, but I like to have it where ever I go. So, guys, what you would suggest to buy? I'm thinking about ASUS ROG Strix G15 with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070, but it sells only with windows. Should I be worried, that it will not work with Ubuntu? Or, maybe, you have better suggestions?
furaxhornyx Aug 18, 2020
Quoting: GrazenI think pretty well every laptop will work in Linux without a problem. I have a Gigabyte that I’ve been using for a few years without a problem - it comes with a 1060. I also have a S76. If you’re going with an Nvidia GPU just be aware that Nvidia Prime and Optimus are fidgety in pretty well every distro I’ve tried except for PoPos.

My MSI GE63VR 7RF (with Nvidia 1070 hybrid GPU) for example, is very picky about installing Linux. So far, I have only managed to get Linux Mint to work on it without too much hassle (only a black screen at the first reboot, but not hard to fix - even I could do it ).
However, no luck with other distros (I tried about 8 different distros), some would not even start the Live environment.
Guppy Aug 18, 2020
Quoting: furaxhornyx
Quoting: GrazenI think pretty well every laptop will work in Linux without a problem. I have a Gigabyte that I’ve been using for a few years without a problem - it comes with a 1060. I also have a S76. If you’re going with an Nvidia GPU just be aware that Nvidia Prime and Optimus are fidgety in pretty well every distro I’ve tried except for PoPos.

My MSI GE63VR 7RF (with Nvidia 1070 hybrid GPU) for example, is very picky about installing Linux. So far, I have only managed to get Linux Mint to work on it without too much hassle (only a black screen at the first reboot, but not hard to fix - even I could do it ).
However, no luck with other distros (I tried about 8 different distros), some would not even start the Live environment.

Sounds like UEFI trouble more than laptop trouble tbh.
DMG Oct 9, 2020
To finalize this post, I choose to give a try for MSI GE66 Raider with GeForce RTX 2070. Not the newest, but I like it. And with pop os started with something new from os side too. For my surprise, installation was without even single issue. Now Conan Exiles runs on high settings on average 70 fps. Which is fine for me.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.