Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Serious Sam 4
robvv Sep 24, 2020
Well, it has been confirmed with a very concise comment on the SS4 Steam forum that SS4 is not coming to Linux "at the moment".

Looks like all their previous Linux work was research for projects such as Stadia.
Ehvis Sep 24, 2020
Quoting: robvvLooks like all their previous Linux work was research for projects such as Stadia.

Well, that will be slightly problematic since the main driver behind all that Linux work is now working for Google/Stadia.
g000h Sep 24, 2020
I've just been checking out some reviews, and it seems like Serious Sam 4 has been released quite buggy and lacking polish. Croteam are doubtless going to want to improve it a fair bit, before even contemplating a Linux build. Under the circumstances, I think I'd rather pick it up for native Linux in another year's time, with lots of improvements patched-in and a nice discount on the release price.
pete910 Sep 26, 2020
Quoting: robvvWell, it has been confirmed with a very concise comment on the SS4 Steam forum that SS4 is not coming to Linux "at the moment".

Looks like all their previous Linux work was research for projects such as Stadia.

So that's another one that's gave up on Linux. !

Not many left now, I feel Linux gaming has had it's day tbh, To quote a lyric "Sad But True!

Not surprising though. Was good while it lasted.
Avehicle7887 Sep 27, 2020
It seems the game doesn't even run in Wine despite having a Vulkan renderer. From a GOG user's point of view, this is kinda ironic. The moment I was ready to give Croteam my money, they release a game of poor quality (full of bugs, outdated graphics) and without Linux support.

Here's hoping they'll pull a "No Man's Sky" and update the game worthy of its' price tag (40 euro isn't cheap).
ageres Sep 27, 2020
Quoting: GuestGood job helping to kill Linux gaming, Gabe.
wat
g000h Sep 27, 2020
Quoting: ageres
Quoting: GuestGood job helping to kill Linux gaming, Gabe.
wat

I think Swiftpaw is implying that Steam's Proton has assisted with the reduction in native Linux games being released. I personally believe this is a *very* minimal effect and I'm a lot more thankful that Proton enables me to choose to play from a bigger selection of titles, regardless of whether the game developers release natively or not.
robvv Sep 27, 2020
Have got the game running with Proton GE 4.14 and the latest DXVK. Using the DX11 graphics API as Vulkan causes a crash for me.

Any other Proton version doesn't have good results here.
Ehvis Sep 27, 2020
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: Ehvis
Quoting: GuestWhat other explanation is there?

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/alen-ladavac-co-founder-of-croteam-has-left-to-join-the-google-stadia-team-plus-other-stadia-news.15166

I don't think one employee leaving means they dump all plans to use the newest Fusion Serious Engine, but I guess anything is possible.

He was a very big part of the multi-platform stuff. And I'm afraid it looks like it won't continue without him.
dubigrasu Oct 1, 2020
So looks like the PC release is bugged, because of AlenL departure to work on Stadia, among other things.
So how does it work on Stadia then? Anyone tried personally?
Some Youtube reviews are stating that it runs excellent and smooth at 4K while being insanely fun. Apparently graphics are nothing to write home about and not much of a story. etc, but worth the time nevertheless.
Overall, the game seems trouble-free on Stadia, but I was curious to hear some first hand opinions.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.