Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
HOWTO: Turning on and switching off lighthouses with a simple script
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
scaine Oct 11, 2020
Quoting: Blu3yeIt´s SteamVR menu button -> Devices -> Base station settings -> Energy management
Like normal for me as it´s the same on Windows. I would not be suprised you didn´t know of this! Many don´t like I read here and there online ^^

Linux doesn't support SteamVR power management, at all. So, when you go to Devices -> Base Station Settings, you should see this:

On Linux, there is no "Energy Management" setting. If you go to Bluetooth Settings, you are told "Bluetooth not available".

Hence, the need for this script on Linux. Looks like you're either running SteamVR via Proton, or on Windows. The github link that jens just posted also has discussion and screenshots of this issue, on Linux.

@jens Thanks for the link. Interesting to see this solution gain wider support on the official github page. I use a Bluetooth 4.0 dongle myself, so that last comment is off the mark a bit. I have had the same error though, but re-running the script a few more times seems to resolve it. Hopefully someone who know more about Bluetooth can refine the script, then maybe it's in a place reliable enough for Valve to package it into the next SteamVR!

Last edited by scaine on 11 October 2020 at 10:22 am UTC
Blu3ye Oct 11, 2020
So I thought it is maybe because I have enabled Steam Play globally for all "games" in my library and therefore starting SteamVR also in some compatibility mode. I did reset this and only enabled it for the games I want to play.

But that didn't change anything. I also did a fresh install of SteamVR with cleaning of some folders and config files that did look vr related to me. Still same behaviour and same available options.

I do however have the same screen of the base station settings like you posted. What happens when you click on the button? On my system the settings page open and from there I can enable the power management settings. You can't do this?

What SteamVR version do you run? Mine is 1.14.16.
Did I oversee that I do need to have another bluetooth dongle?

And you are running Index, right?
Guess that makes some difference, too.

Checking the github images they are different to what you posted!
(Index, too)

EDIT:
Maybe the issue is, that the script scans for a manufacturer that is different to v1 stations.
I found another script that someone made for Pimax users with v1 stations. The part where manufacturer is scanned is totally different and my capabilities aren't enough to merge or compare them.
mann1x Pimax base stations v1 script

EDIT2:
Modified the script to just scan "every" bt device and list them. There are a couple devices shown but the base stations not. I guess this script scans only for bluetooth low energy devices (btle) and v1 stations don't have this. If that's true I also guess it will not work for v1 stations at all. Or am I completely wrong and someone has it working with Vive?

Last edited by Blu3ye on 11 October 2020 at 12:47 pm UTC
jens Oct 13, 2020
  • Supporter
Quoting: Blu3yeJust installed Steam through Pamac. Installed packages are: steam-manjaro 1.0.0.66-1 and steam-native 1.0.0.62-3.

Regarding the mystery that you have power settings available in you installation, maybe it is related to the usage of the `steam-native` package. As far as I remember this replaces the Steam Runtime (which is I thought quite an ancient Ubuntu) with your current installed system libraries. Thus may be just the old Steam runtime libraries are what is holding SteamVR back from using some "modern" features?

Just a thought...

Last edited by jens on 13 October 2020 at 6:19 am UTC
Blu3ye Oct 15, 2020
I don't know if I installed it on purpose or just clicked it accidently. I thought it is necessary. I can remove it but should I do it? Can't find suitable/understandable to me information online about it.

But as I have written, the script will not be suitable for lh v1 stations I strongly guess.
I tried a workaround by using a Android app that can power up/down the stations, too. Though support for v1 stations is beta it quite works but downside is that I can not use the power managament feature of my Windows SteamVR. That's because you have to bluetooth pair them with the app I guess.
Blu3ye Oct 15, 2020
Quoting: Blu3yeI do however have the same screen of the base station settings like you posted. What happens when you click on the button? On my system the settings page open and from there I can enable the power management settings. You can't do this?
@scaine ?
scaine Oct 16, 2020
Quoting: Blu3ye
Quoting: Blu3yeI do however have the same screen of the base station settings like you posted. What happens when you click on the button? On my system the settings page open and from there I can enable the power management settings. You can't do this?
@scaine ?

Hey. I already told you! From my earlier reply:

Quoting: scaineOn Linux, there is no "Energy Management" setting. If you go to Bluetooth Settings, you are told "Bluetooth not available

Sorry! I didn't realise you were waiting for a response on that!

Yeah, totally disabled, and confirmed by multiple posters, and as I said, it's the whole reason this script exists. I'm guessing that you're on a different experience either because of that steam-native package mentioned above, or simply because you're on v1 lighthouses and it's just "more" broken on v2?

I'm not sure. I'm gutted this doesn't work for you though, because it's something I've really come to rely on. At least you have the Android solution until Valve sort this more generally.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.