Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
GOL is on route to create a new alternative "ProtonDB" ?
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
Mohandevir Oct 19, 2020
Quoting: Perkeleen_VittupääGold used to mean: a little tinker effort required; launch option or similar and that's it.

See... Tought Gold meant "runs, no tweaks, but might have a tolerable performance hit (15-40% aprrox.). We've seen Linux native ports having that kind of performance hits. While Platinum meant "runs, no tweaks with native-like performances".

Gold with tweaks makes no sense to me. It should systematically fall in the silver grade, no matter the performances.

Last edited by Mohandevir on 19 October 2020 at 8:57 pm UTC
Perkeleen_Vittupää Oct 19, 2020
Quoting: Mohandevir
Quoting: Perkeleen_VittupääGold used to mean: a little tinker effort required; launch option or similar and that's it.

See... Tought Gold meant "runs without tweaks but might have a tolerable performance hit (15-40% aprrox.). We've seen Linux native ports having that kind of performance hits. While Platinum meant "runs, no tweaks with native-like performances".

Gold with tweaks makes no sense to me.

See? Now no one knows what exactly means what. What gold used to mean to me (and as indicated in that Jason's video) it was a good "GOLD" experience in performance, but only after a little tiny tweak (what ever THAT again means to different individuals). What is a "simple command in the terminal" for us, could be a deal breaker for some one else, new user or so.
Mohandevir Oct 19, 2020
Quoting: Perkeleen_Vittupää
Quoting: Mohandevir

See... Tought Gold meant "runs without tweaks but might have a tolerable performance hit (15-40% aprrox.). We've seen Linux native ports having that kind of performance hits. While Platinum meant "runs, no tweaks with native-like performances".

Gold with tweaks makes no sense to me.

See? Now no one knows what exactly means what. What gold used to mean to me (and as indicated in that Jason's video) it was a good "GOLD" experience in performance, but only after a little tiny tweak (what ever THAT again means to different individuals). What is a "simple command in the terminal" for us, could be a deal breaker for some one else, new user or so.

What I meant by "See" it's that, aside from Platinum, the ProtonDB ratings are just confusing. It gets even worse when you try to find the mentionned tweak everyone talks about which was posted 125 reports earlier. I have a lot more confidence in what Liam (GoL?) is trying to do. I believe it would be a lot more reliable.

Last edited by Mohandevir on 19 October 2020 at 9:05 pm UTC
Quoting: MohandevirIt gets even worse when you try to find the mentionned tweak everyone talks about which was posted 125 reports earlier. I have a lot more confidence in what Liam is trying to do. I believe it would be a lot more reliable.

This so much! One of the worst parts in the modern protondb of a mess is that one cannot find the info needed. The requirement to even realize that one has to search for some launch option strings (and where exactly copy paste that..) in midst of a wall of reports is insane.

Why not a box with "marked as solutions" at least somewhere on the side or similar? All comes down to UX by the design skill. Apart from coders, we need some people to help who can place themselves in the shoes of a new Linux user, trying to get a game one loves to run with as less effort as possible.

It really is good that this is on the table now the very issue, at last, to discuss. It can only get better
CatKiller Oct 19, 2020
Quoting: Perkeleen_VittupääAlready now it looks more useful, coherent and clean in comparison to modern protondb. Nowadays on protondb: one really cannot tell what means what!

The thing with ProtonDB is that its state is a consequence of how it came to be.

When Proton was announced, it came with a tiny whitelist of games that Valve pledged to support and which were listed on Steam as Linux-compatible, as well as the option of trying it with other games. So everybody did, of course, and put their results in every thread where Proton was announced. Interesting, but in no way comprehensive or discoverable.

Someone then collated those results they could find into a big spreadsheet. That got unwieldy pretty quickly.

So, ProtonDB was made, and it used the same medal rankings as Wine. Unfortunately, in their exuberance that things were working, reporters weren't really following those categories in their reports. If it worked at all people were calling it platinum because they were excited, and wanted to see the number of platinums go up.

So ProtonDB wanted to clean up the quality of their reports. While that was a noble goal, the two big problems I see with the approach that they took was that firstly they insisted on linking reports to a Steam account, which drove away the filthy casuals like me and selected for enthusiasts and tinkerers instead, and secondly, rather than enforcing reports into the medal categories they did away with them on reports, but still display those rankings as some sort of average, which makes no sense.

At the same time, we do, as a community, need a simple way for new migrants to know which of their games are likely to work, and they get pointed at ProtonDB because we don't have anything else (currently), even though it's not that well-suited to that role.
Quoting: CatKiller
Quoting: Perkeleen_VittupääAlready now it looks more useful, coherent and clean in comparison to modern protondb. Nowadays on protondb: one really cannot tell what means what!

The thing with ProtonDB is that its state is a consequence of how it came to be.

When Proton was announced, it came with a tiny whitelist of games that Valve pledged to support and which were listed on Steam as Linux-compatible, as well as the option of trying it with other games. So everybody did, of course, and put their results in every thread where Proton was announced. Interesting, but in no way comprehensive or discoverable.

Someone then collated those results they could find into a big spreadsheet. That got unwieldy pretty quickly.

So, ProtonDB was made, and it used the same medal rankings as Wine. Unfortunately, in their exuberance that things were working, reporters weren't really following those categories in their reports. If it worked at all people were calling it platinum because they were excited, and wanted to see the number of platinums go up.

So ProtonDB wanted to clean up the quality of their reports. While that was a noble goal, the two big problems I see with the approach that they took was that firstly they insisted on linking reports to a Steam account, which drove away the filthy casuals like me and selected for enthusiasts and tinkerers instead, and secondly, rather than enforcing reports into the medal categories they did away with them on reports, but still display those rankings as some sort of average, which makes no sense.

At the same time, we do, as a community, need a simple way for new migrants to know which of their games are likely to work, and they get pointed at ProtonDB because we don't have anything else (currently), even though it's not that well-suited to that role.

Very insightful post! "Platinum because they were excited" - and so forth indeed. Oh yea.

These are the reasons why i think rational Linux people (like LiamD and Samsai for example) of GOL (as this project is indeed under GOL) would be effective to CURATE stuff. Listening to their recent podcasts, they're a great team with needed fiber to "swing the axe" as necessary to keep this new "protondb" in shape and reliable!

"Blockchain... more like blockfail." -not many dare to state even that in these times of many changes in general. "Not all change is progress" (as the long gone Linux podcast Linux Luddites once stated)
CatKiller Oct 20, 2020
Quoting: MohandevirSee... Tought Gold meant "runs, no tweaks, but might have a tolerable performance hit (15-40% aprrox.). We've seen Linux native ports having that kind of performance hits. While Platinum meant "runs, no tweaks with native-like performances".

Gold with tweaks makes no sense to me. It should systematically fall in the silver grade, no matter the performances.

For the record, your understanding was incorrect. If a game has performance issues that can't be corrected, it's Silver if the performance is adequate or Bronze if it's not. Gold and Platinum would both be running without any issues, performance or otherwise, but differing in whether you need to do anything to make that happen. I'll list the criteria.

Quoting: AppDBPlatinum
Works as well as (or better than) on Windows out of the box.

Gold: Works as well as (or better than) on Windows with workarounds.

Silver: Works excellently for normal use, but has some problems for which there are no workarounds.

Bronze: Works, but has some problems for normal use.

Garbage: Problems are severe enough that it cannot be used for the purpose it was designed for.

Quoting: ProtondbPlatinum (runs perfectly out of the box)

Gold (runs perfectly after tweaks)

Silver (runs with minor issues, but generally is playable)

Bronze (runs, but often crashes or has issues preventing from playing comfortably)

Borked (game either won’t start or is crucially unplayable)
Mohandevir Oct 20, 2020
Quoting: CatKiller
Quoting: MohandevirSee... Tought Gold meant "runs, no tweaks, but might have a tolerable performance hit (15-40% aprrox.). We've seen Linux native ports having that kind of performance hits. While Platinum meant "runs, no tweaks with native-like performances".

For the record, your understanding was incorrect. If a game has performance issues that can't be corrected, it's Silver if the performance is adequate or Bronze if it's not. Gold and Platinum would both be running without any issues, performance or otherwise, but differing in whether you need to do anything to make that happen. I'll list the criteria.

Quoting: AppDBPlatinum
Works as well as (or better than) on Windows out of the box.

Gold: Works as well as (or better than) on Windows with workarounds.

Silver: Works excellently for normal use, but has some problems for which there are no workarounds.

Bronze: Works, but has some problems for normal use.

Garbage: Problems are severe enough that it cannot be used for the purpose it was designed for.

Quoting: ProtondbPlatinum (runs perfectly out of the box)

Gold (runs perfectly after tweaks)

Silver (runs with minor issues, but generally is playable)

Bronze (runs, but often crashes or has issues preventing from playing comfortably)

Borked (game either won’t start or is crucially unplayable)

Yeah, but I remember that the classification changed since Protondb began collecting reports. I can't find the original version, but it wasn't categorized in the same way, originally. They did a complete refactoring of the creterias, at some point, last year.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. To me, ProtonDB is starting to be unusable/unreliable. It is an awesome initiative/starting point, but it's flaws are getting more obvious by the day.

Edit: I'm wondering if we'll ever see Valve expending it's official Whitelist?

Last edited by Mohandevir on 20 October 2020 at 4:18 pm UTC
CatKiller Oct 20, 2020
Quoting: MohandevirYeah, but I remember that the classification changed since Protondb began collecting reports. I can't find the original version, but it wasn't categorized in the same way, originally. They did a complete refactoring of the creterias, at some point, last year.

They started with the classifications from the spreadsheet (Won’t Start, Crashed, Unplayable, Unstable, Stable, and Completely Stable) and then changed them to the Wine ratings about two years ago, and then to their current thing about a year ago.

QuoteEdit: I'm wondering if we'll ever see Valve expending it's official Whitelist?

They've expanded it a couple of times since the initial release. You can see which games are on it here. Since whitelist inclusion means that Valve have to shoulder the support burden rather than the game devs (which they did as an incentive in case games needed changing to work well with Proton) and an amazing number of games work without intervention, they seem to have decided to let the game devs handle support and just make Proton better themselves.
Mohandevir Oct 20, 2020
Quoting: CatKiller... and an amazing number of games work without intervention, they seem to have decided to let the game devs handle support and just make Proton better themselves.

My feeling too.

Still, what's next for the whitelist? The last update was for Proton 4.2 games... It's been quite a while... I get the point that testing all the games is a massive undertaking, but isn't there anything else that Valve will/could do to automatically integrate more of the "Platinum rating games"? I don't know, maybe a community of reliable and approved testers, like Liam and GoL?

I'm sure Valve has no intentions of relying on ProtonDB reports for that kind of stuff, though.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.