Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Assassin's Creed Valhalla
Page: «2/4»
  Go to:
tuubi 14 Nov

Quoting: OfcaValve is committed to Linux support and they'll want to use DX12 bells and whistles in their games under Windows sooner or later, while also keep them playable on Linux.
I don't get this part. Vulkan provides these same bells and whistles on both Linux and Windows (among other platforms), and several games by Valve support Vulkan already (via the Source 2 engine). I don't think Valve is planning to use VKD3D for their own games on Linux.

Or did you mean something else?

Ofca 14 Nov

Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: OfcaValve is committed to Linux support and they'll want to use DX12 bells and whistles in their games under Windows sooner or later, while also keep them playable on Linux.
I don't get this part. Vulkan provides these same bells and whistles on both Linux and Windows (among other platforms), and several games by Valve support Vulkan already (via the Source 2 engine). I don't think Valve is planning to use VKD3D for their own games on Linux.

Or did you mean something else?
That's a moot point then with regards to Valve's own games. That being said, more and more games offered via Steam will require DX12 and Valve will want them playable with Proton for sure. This should make AC:V playable even if it's not one of those games. VKD3D-Proton repository could be interpreted as "we are not happy with progress being made by Codeweavers, and it's time to speed things up with our own hands". It's a hard fork with no compatibility plans. This isn't necessarily a bad thing; in the end we want to play games, and it isn't much of a difference to experience whether I choose wine, lutris or proton as a runner in Lutris as long as the game runs well.

My point being: Valve's work doesn't only serve Valve, which is an unfair worry that I hear a lot lately (i.e. "AC:V is not on Steam, so don't expect it to run on Linux anytime soon"). I mostly use Glorious Eggroll's take on Proton ( https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom ) in Lutris nowadays -- Valve gets nothing out of such use; in the end only Ubisoft benefits from it, as I use Lutris' and Valve's product of labor to pay for and play Ubisoft's games. That's why I'd love to see EA and Ubisoft tossing some man-hours and/or money into Proton, or at least make an effort to make things "just work" with Proton. It's not that they need to pay any licensing fees to get money from Linux users. It's a free platform to support and get more customers. But: happy thoughts. few years ago we had no Proton, no Linux support on Steam, no native drivers. Things are only getting better here.

Someone on youtube described how to run the game from different drives. It seams to depend on finding video and sound folders on C: under Windows 10.
The behaviour was exactly what you describe: it hangs at the login Logo screen.
Maybe this helps and you can figure out some workaround applying this in Linux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_z8JMzZ-Hs

But the game needs more time to be patched anyways.

bl-ckb-x 20 Nov

Tried that with softlinks under linux without success. There's more to be changed and programmed to get DX12 working under linux. But the guys from vkd3d-proton are already investigating: https://github.com/HansKristian-Work/vkd3d-proton/issues/409

rustybroomhandle 3 days ago

AC:V works with the newest wine-tkg. Running directly from Ubisoft Connect. May possibly need to compile the latest VKD3D-Proton, but I believe that wine-tkg includes that. I had some initial performance issues, but disabled vkd3d logging and now it runs pretty well.

TuxThePenguin 3 days ago

Quoting: rustybroomhandleAC:V works with the newest wine-tkg. Running directly from Ubisoft Connect. May possibly need to compile the latest VKD3D-Proton, but I believe that wine-tkg includes that. I had some initial performance issues, but disabled vkd3d logging and now it runs pretty well.

I tried the wine and proton versions here

https://github.com/Frogging-Family/wine-tkg-git

Building from source with no joy, did you set any specific options?

rustybroomhandle 3 days ago

Quoting: TuxThePenguin
Quoting: rustybroomhandleAC:V works with the newest wine-tkg. Running directly from Ubisoft Connect. May possibly need to compile the latest VKD3D-Proton, but I believe that wine-tkg includes that. I had some initial performance issues, but disabled vkd3d logging and now it runs pretty well.

I tried the wine and proton versions here

https://github.com/Frogging-Family/wine-tkg-git

Building from source with no joy, did you set any specific options?

Nothing special, just:

WINEDEBUG=-all WINEFSYNC=0 WINEESYNC=1 VKD3D_DEBUG=none VKD3D_SHADER_DEBUG=none WINEPREFIX=bla wine64 bla/UbisoftConnect.exe

Using the newest version currently on the tkg releases page.

I also compiled vkd3d-proton from source and copied the d3d12.dll to the ACV folder.

I did see some mention that this might not currently work with AMD, just NVidia (455 non-beta driver)

TuxThePenguin 3 days ago

Will give that a try

Ofca 2 days ago

I can confirm that it indeed works! :)

Thanks for the tip @rustybroomhandle
Last step, compiling fresh vkd3d-proton and copying 64-bit version manually to ACV directory was mandatory and after that it started working.

Good luck @TuxThePenguin - it can be done, at least on Nvidia.

Ofca 2 days ago

...although after playing a bit, some kind of timings seem to be off. The game plays slow. It's not frame rate, just everything seems slow compared to Windows on Geforce Now; did you notice anything similar?

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
Latest Forum Posts