You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
M2/SSD under Linux
razing32 Dec 7, 2020
Hi there

I am looking to upgrade my PC and looking for some advice.

Do SSDs or M2 SSDs require any special setup ?
I read on the arch wiki that enabling trim service might be a good idea as Linux can write frequently to disk.

I admit I am not very knowledgeable so would like to hear some advice/opinions.
Ehvis Dec 7, 2020
Didn't have to do anything special for either SATA or M.2 NVME SSDs. And at least Ubuntu seems to enable that by itself.
razing32 Dec 7, 2020
Quoting: EhvisDidn't have to do anything special for either SATA or M.2 NVME SSDs. And at least Ubuntu seems to enable that by itself.

Can you check if you have any service related to TRIM enabled by default ?
Julius Dec 8, 2020
Modern SSD (with normal use) are basically not effected by this and Ext4 has also been optimized for SSD use.

The main difference I noticed is that contrary to older hard-drives there is actually such a thing as firmware upgrades for SSD and they can be a bit tricky for certain brands under Linux.

Last edited by Julius on 8 December 2020 at 12:44 am UTC
LinuxGamesTV Dec 8, 2020
On openSUSE fasttrim is active by default if you install the System on a NvMe SSD
CatKiller Dec 8, 2020
Quoting: razing32
Quoting: EhvisDidn't have to do anything special for either SATA or M.2 NVME SSDs. And at least Ubuntu seems to enable that by itself.

The weekly fstrim service is enabled by default from ~18.04.
Ehvis Dec 8, 2020
Quoting: razing32

It should have said that it was. It was apparently too late to see that I missed part of my sentence.
razing32 Dec 8, 2020
So i guess fstrim is enough in most circumstances.
Thanks
That's what i needed i guess
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.