Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Open source engines for Heretic and Hexen games?
Shmerl Dec 22, 2020
Heretic and Hexen games just came out on GOG.

Are there some good open engines to play them on Linux?

Last edited by Shmerl on 22 December 2020 at 4:59 am UTC
nate Dec 22, 2020
GZDoom is the best. Download the latest version from here:

http://debian.drdteam.org/pool/multiverse/g/gzdoom/

After installing, just go to your directory with your Heretic of Hexen "iwads" and type gzdoom in a terminal. It will then prompt you with which base Doom style game you want to launch, like Heretic, Hexen, Doom, Freedoom or whatever other iwads you have in that directory. Enjoy.
Julius Dec 22, 2020
http://dengine.net/
is really nice
Shmerl Dec 23, 2020
I tried uHexen 2, but limited resolution support makes it a bit annoying.
Shmerl Dec 25, 2020
Tried using Gzdoom with Heretic wad, but it just keeps hanging after half a minute of usage and I need to kill the process every time. Some kind of bug?
ageres Dec 25, 2020
Quoting: ShmerlTried using Gzdoom with Heretic wad, but it just keeps hanging after half a minute of usage and I need to kill the process every time. Some kind of bug?
Most probably. I've just tried it with GZDoom 4.5.0, finished the first level with no problem.
Shmerl Dec 25, 2020
Quoting: ageresMost probably. I've just tried it with GZDoom 4.5.0, finished the first level with no problem.

I'm trying to run it with GZDoom g4.5.0 on Debian testing. May be I didn't set up / configure things right.
ageres Dec 25, 2020
What about Doom WADs? How did you get GZDoom, by building from its source code or downloading compiled binaries? The latter gives me similar troubles, so I'm using the AUR version now.
Shmerl Dec 25, 2020
I downloaded pre-built binary from here: https://debian.drdteam.org/pool/multiverse/g/gzdoom/

But didn't install the package, just placed the unpacked data in $HOME/games/gzdoom

And then tweaked $HOME/.config/gzdoom/gzdoom.ini so it would pick needed things:

[IWADSearch.Directories]
PATH=$HOME/games/heretic/game
[SoundfontSearch.Directories]
Path=$HOME/games/gzdoom/soundfonts
Path=$HOME/games/gzdoom/fm_banks

May be they built it weirdly. I'll try building it from source. For some reason it's not in the Debian repo.

Last edited by Shmerl on 25 December 2020 at 3:21 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.