Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Controller for Linux... help...
Page: «2/5»
  Go to:
ghiuma Dec 22, 2020
Aside from the Nacon controller which the only problem it has is random disconnection, the ps4 and ps5 controllers when not automatically detected by the game can be changed with the big picture, but too often simply by changing the key set with the counterparts of the game in the keyboard. For that I needed to have "one ring to rule them all", I have been playing Steam Linux since the first day it came out for Linux, and now after years we have really gotten a big advantage in native games and especially those with Proton. I just wish I could use one controller for everything without going crazy for disconnections or other quirks. Think of playing Kingdom as in combat and any controller you use turns off or is no longer recognized. I think it's a driver issue, after all Steam does everything it can for those who play Linux...

Last edited by ghiuma on 22 December 2020 at 7:40 pm UTC
damarrin Dec 22, 2020
I use the DS4 with all steam games and it always works fine. Not all games show PS controller symbols, however, so you still need to know what the abxy buttons are.

Last edited by damarrin on 22 December 2020 at 9:36 pm UTC
denyasis Dec 23, 2020
Sorry if this is too off-topic as the OP mentioned Steam, but what about when you're not using steam? Do your suggestions remain or do they change?
tuubi Dec 23, 2020
Quoting: denyasisSorry if this is too off-topic as the OP mentioned Steam, but what about when you're not using steam? Do your suggestions remain or do they change?
I've only had the 8BitDo for a few weeks, but it has worked fine in all of the (relatively recent) Itch and GOG games I've tried so far. For oldies the Logitechs are probably the safer bet.
furaxhornyx Dec 23, 2020
Quoting: TobyGornowI second Liam, never had any trouble with my wired Xbox 360 controller, strong as a rock, plug and play and 100% Xinput compatible.

I'll third that. Xbox 360 controller acts like it was meant with Linux in mind
Plus, they are cheap to get on second-hand ; just make sure you get the wired ones (never really tried with the wireless ones, but I tend to not trust those...)
1xok Dec 23, 2020
For me Steam Controller is still the best. But is now totally overpriced.

There are offers for the DS4 and the back keys.

I no longer wanted to play without back or grip keys.
whizse Dec 23, 2020
Quoting: denyasisSorry if this is too off-topic as the OP mentioned Steam, but what about when you're not using steam? Do your suggestions remain or do they change?
The DualShock 4 seems to work fine outside of Steam.

I should mention that I'm not the kind of person who plays everything with a controller. I mostly use it for racing games and emulated Playstation games. Mouse and keyboard is still my bread and butter*.

* Not literally of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if my keyboard had enough breadcrumbs in it to make half a sandwich.
Julius Dec 23, 2020
Anyone got an idea why most of the time my controller only works when I launch the game from BigScreen mode?

Last edited by Julius on 23 December 2020 at 8:15 pm UTC
denyasis Dec 23, 2020
!
Quoting: whizseThe DualShock 4 seems to work fine outside of Steam.

I should mention that I'm not the kind of person who plays everything with a controller. I mostly use it for racing games and emulated Playstation games. Mouse and keyboard is still my bread and butter*.

* Not literally of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if my keyboard had enough breadcrumbs in it to make half a sandwich.

Thanks! I was looking at that or the logitech . And thanks to everyone else too. I like my steam controller, but I can't afford a second one. Last time I tried an xbox controller, it felt a little big, but maybe I was just being picky.

I was mostly thinking for the very few racing, simple FPS games that my kids could play in the living room with my steam link.

Last edited by denyasis on 23 December 2020 at 10:48 pm UTC
childermass Aug 12, 2023
Does anyone have updated recommendations for wireless Bluetooth controllers that work reliably with Linux in general (and Steam/Proton in particular) nowadays? In case it makes a difference, I'm running Ubuntu.

We have a 8BitDo Sn30 Pro+ Wireless controller, which we've been happy with, but after a couple of years of heavy use it has begun to stop working randomly, so I assume the hardware is probably failing.

If we replace it, we'd probably prefer something with a similar layout (i.e. with the analogue sticks arranged symmetrically, like a PS controller, rather than the Xbox layout where the left stick and the D-pad are 'swapped'), because that's what we're used to, and our 'spare' controller is a Logitech F710, which has the same layout.

It looks like the original Sn30 Pro+ model has been superseded by the 8BitDo Pro 2, but I found a few posts around the web suggesting the newer model might not be as reliably compatible with Linux. Does anyone here have experience with the Pro 2?

Or, is there a more solid recommendation out there?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.