Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Gaming on Linux for Kids
Page: «3/12»
  Go to:
HerrLange Dec 31, 2020
They have just started with Slime Rancher. Looks like they like it. Let's see how the long term motivation will be.

Thx for the hint @Liam
Lachu Dec 31, 2020
I don't be pretty sure, but If you don't dislike commercial or closed-source games, real farm could be good. It's available on Steam and have a native version.
Jared Dec 31, 2020
There's Terraria on GOG and Spelunky HD Classic on the Snap Store.
whizse Dec 31, 2020
Quoting: HerrLangeWell, I just strongly believe that Kids needs to have access to all the techy things like tablets, PCs, TV and Gaming consoles to learn dealing with them and because it's natural to use this kind of stuff. On the other hand side I strongly believe that too much of it is not good for their development. Especially my 6 year old son is really sucked into the games and tends to forget everything around and just thinking nothing else than his favorite computer games. I think he is in danger for computer gaming addiction. He clearly needs strict rules. This keeps him enjoying the games while still doing all the every day stuff and learn how to control the thing.
My sister set a similar limit on screen time for my nieces. I of course told them the same rules applies to adults, it was up to them to enforce it. She was quite upset when they hid her phone.

Surprisingly she became even angrier when she found it. But I mean, I can hardly be blamed for the kids hiding it in the back of the garage, on the floor, or her not finding it until after she had backed it over with the car...

Quoting: HerrLangePingus/Lemmings is OK in the first levels but later not. My daughter really dislikes to sacrifice a few of the lemmings/pingus to save the rest of them. Since the first level which could be only bet by sacrificing the game is Blöd! (stupid). :-)
That kid's got heart! Nemo resido, semper fi little lemmings!
HerrLange Dec 31, 2020
Btw, Slime Rancher is for now there new favorite game. During dinner they had technical dicussions wich diamond (they call the slime poo diamonds after some intervention from my side regarding more rude words :-) ) eaten by which slime leads to the best hybrids. I think my ears already starting bleeding from those slime stories. :-)
denyasis Jan 1, 2021
Quoting: HerrLangeBtw, Slime Rancher is for now there new favorite game. During dinner they had technical dicussions wich diamond (they call the slime poo diamonds after some intervention from my side regarding more rude words :-) ) eaten by which slime leads to the best hybrids. I think my ears already starting bleeding from those slime stories. :-)

That's awesome. Once mine can read better in a few months and I solve some technical issues with it, it's up next to play.

Last edited by denyasis on 1 January 2021 at 12:31 am UTC
HerrLange Jan 4, 2021
0ad for a 6 and 8 yeard old kit? I don't think so.Maybe in 3-4 years. :-)
Guppy Jan 5, 2021
My kids are 7 & 10 and have been gaming on Linux for a couple of years now :)

Their most played list ( arranged by when they started playing them chronologically )

- Action Henk
- Slime Rancher
- AER Memories of Old
- Fugl
- Portal ( 1 & 2 )
- Talos Principle ( there are a few parts of the game where you will properly need to assist in reading the massive walls of text )
- Poly Bridge
- Equilinox
- The Torchlight series
- The Trine series
- Raft [Wine]
- Among Us [Wine]

It may be tempting to get the LEGO series, but proton/wine support is wierd with these titles they will randomly break/refuse to launch every so often and kids aren't real patient of that sort of thing.
Guppy Jan 5, 2021
missed the part where you don't want them to have steam accounts yet, sorry all of my suggestions are on steam :|
CatKiller Jan 5, 2021
Quoting: Guppy- Talos Principle ( there are a few parts of the game where you will properly need to assist in reading the massive walls of text )
You can just completely ignore all the text with no repercussions. My one is 4, and loved it, but we just didn't bother with that part.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.