Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Gaming on Linux for Kids
Page: «5/12»
  Go to:
Duck Hunt-Pr0 Apr 24, 2021
Quoting: HerrLangeHi, just wanted to start a discussion regarding Gaming on Linux for Kids.
I know there are the KDE and Gnome games collections but I want to discuss or find regarding high quality games that are a bit more advanced.

@HerrLange ...My advice would be to use RetroArch, with you as parent curating the emulated game roms..

sudo pacman -S retroarch
With Internet Archive <-- (psst.. this is where the good stuff is at..)

..aught to serve your purpose ;)

and, People need to keep in mind that below 13yo is against Valve/Steam T0S for Steam accounts.. So don't do that..

ps: https://archive.org/donate/
#ArchiveTeam

Last edited by Duck Hunt-Pr0 on 24 April 2021 at 11:36 pm UTC
HerrLange May 1, 2021
Mine have now started playing Stardew Valley. They are insta-addicted in a positive manner. As a father/parent I‘m really surprised how well this is suited for kids if you think that kids should game on linux from time to time. You have to read, you have to calculate and count a bit. They have to concentrate longer and its not making them crazy cause of thrill and too much excitement. The monster in the mines are quite ok and still give a little thrill.

However the only thing I would criticize is that you have to „bribe“ people to become their friends. Real friendship does not work like this. That you have to mention, especially know with corona caused limited contacts to their real friends.
Mezron May 1, 2021
My kids are all grown now but when they were younger we use to stick to arcade (like Duck Hunt-Pr0 suggested) like games (for the kids that were into video games at all) until they hit a certain age (usually around 13ish) then they would make monitored accounts to play games online with their cousins and other kids we knew IRL. Around 16ish they would get into online games with strangers. It seemed strict but it's what my wife and I were comfortable with back then.

One of the best gaming moments I can recall for my 2 youngest was playing PAPO y YO with them. It's an adventure game with themes of family and childhood involved. Don't want to spoil it but it opened up a bunch of conversations about the content for weeks after ending it. Later on we went on to play To The Moon which had the same effect. This was around the time they came together in a Humble Bundle.

The games that stuck out as I recall were Epic Inventor (Wine), Minecraft/Minetest, Icy Tower (Wine), Teeworlds, Crayon Physics Deluxe, SuperTuxKart, Black & White (Wine), Super Street Fighter II (Emu), Fatal Fury Special (Emu), KOF 2002 (Emu), World of Padman, FlatOut, ReVolt (Wine) and HotWheels Beat That! (Wine)

As they got older they got into Doom (1993), Quake 3/Live and other LAN based stuff.
denyasis Jul 19, 2021
Figured I'd pop in here and add a thumbs up for Stardew Valley.

Mine, 7 y/o, does ok with the text, but is particularly attracted to the farming and mine adventures. The social "friendship" mechanic doesn't really interest them, partly, I think, some of the reading might be a little advanced.

But this got me thinking.... Stay with me on this one... Roguelikes?

Simple gameplay loop, replayability, good variation and steady power curve...

Any kid friendly Roguelikes out there? I'm thinking more in the real time, non gore type? So no Diablo, Caves of Qud, TOME.

Thoughts?

Last edited by denyasis on 19 July 2021 at 12:42 am UTC
damarrin Jul 19, 2021
If you want your children to taste the bitter tears of failure and the head-banging-against-the-wall frustration of utter helplessness, then sure, roguelikes are the way to go ;-)

I'd be more inclined to say metroidvanias. I'm doing Alwa's Awakening now it that would be great... it's hard as nails, though, so children are more than likely to give up.
denyasis Jul 20, 2021
Good point... I'm more thinking "rogue like" rather liberally in game design. More the random elements with replayability. Less "you be been killed by an unknown potion"

I was perusing last night and Slay the Spire caught my attention. I'm not really into card games (I think?)... But it looked fairly streamlined and the art looked cute.

I'm thinking of getting the children a little something next month as a back to school treat, providing I can afford it and they complete thier summer home work.

Last edited by denyasis on 20 July 2021 at 12:20 am UTC
Chuckaluphagus Jul 21, 2021
Quoting: denyasisI was perusing last night and Slay the Spire caught my attention. I'm not really into card games (I think?)... But it looked fairly streamlined and the art looked cute.
I have an eight-year old who jumped right into Slay the Spire and thinks it's great. He understands Pokemon cards just fine, so a deck-building game wasn't a huge stretch for him.

Also, it never hurts to add Googly Eyes.
HerrLange Oct 25, 2021
Just in case somebody is still reading or searching in here, my Kids are now 7 and 9 and we have some new games from GOG in our library:

Flatout 2 (is prepacked with wine and I had to manually install some libs to get it run)
Parkitect

Especially parkitect seems to be very funny for them. I can really recommend Parkitect for Kids that are able to read and do some basic math.
CatKiller May 20, 2022
Here's some that my little one's been enjoying (he's now 6) that I've posted about in the Discord but might also be of interest here:
Islanders
Refunct
The Last Cube (note that you can't remap the keys, so he's been using a controller)
AngryAnt May 28, 2022
When my 10yo doesn't game on the Switch or mobile, we have a gaming server they can stream from to their Linux box or the living room TV via Steam Remote Play.

Popular titles:
- Celeste.
- Crashlands (local multiplayer, controller - usually with me).
- Gang Beasts (local multiplayer, controller).
- Knights & Bikes (local multiplayer, controller - usually with me).
- A bunch of the LEGO games (imported what we had on discs into RPCS3 - local multiplayer, controller).
- Minecraft.
- Octodad (local multiplayer, controller).
- Pikuniku.
- Samorost 3.
- Scribblenauts.
- Slime Rancher.
- Super Bomberman (local multiplayer, controller).
- Unpacking.

Regarding screen time limits that happens quite naturally on weekdays with school + after-school club not leaving much time around dinner before bedtime. On weekends there's a three hour cap per day and no earlier than noon. That last factor easily leads to lots of screen-free days when we end up heading out and doing other stuff until crashing back home exhausted.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.