Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Gaming on Linux for Kids
Page: «2/12»
  Go to:
HerrLange Dec 29, 2020
Thx for all the input so far.

Slime Rancher and Frozen Bubble looks like it could be interesting. I will try these next.
Blurps Dec 29, 2020
I just started Battle Chef Brigade and it's nice
Maybe someone finished the game ?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/452570/Battle_Chef_Brigade_Deluxe/
denyasis Dec 30, 2020
Quoting: HerrLangeThx for all the input so far.

Slime Rancher and Frozen Bubble looks like it could be interesting. I will try these next.

Let us know what you think!

On a side note, I notice you give your children a time limit on thier gaming. If you are willing, I would love to hear your thoughts on that.
Mnoleg Dec 30, 2020
My kids really enjoyed RetroPie on a Raspberry Pi. Simple and local multiplayer games are common in old platforms, also the pixelated graphics make the violence (usually) less explicit. Another handy feature is having to configure the gamepads just once.

We just upgraded to a Ryzen 3400G powered desktop with a small case for Xmas. Now the catalogue has extended up to PS3 and WiiU, but newer platforms require some hacks for a proper integration in EmulationStation.

Of course, now we can also play native games. These are the ones that we'll try first:

We let them play a few hours on the weekends and some holidays.
Lachu Dec 30, 2020
I think maybe Crazy Taxi could be good (Steam/Windows through proton). It worked.
Linuxwarper Dec 30, 2020
I recommend motion games like Skyward sword. Besides the lovely design of the game, I believe the simple movements is better than the kids simply using only their finger and hands. Skyward Sword with Motion controller.

Last edited by Linuxwarper on 30 December 2020 at 3:53 pm UTC
denyasis Dec 30, 2020
Hope we're not getting too retro here, but Lemmings might be a fun bet.

My father just delighted my oldest for a few hours playing Lemmings on his laptop. Works very well if they are still learning to read since there is not a lot of text.

You'll never get the midi music score or if you're head though.
whizse Dec 30, 2020
Quoting: denyasisHope we're not getting too retro here, but Lemmings might be a fun bet.
[...]
Lemmings is great! There's also a free clone with Tux looking penguins called Pingus.

Also stumbled upon Fish Fillets while trying to find Pingus. It's a puzzle game aimed at kids.
HerrLange Dec 31, 2020
Quoting: denyasis
Quoting: HerrLangeThx for all the input so far.

Let us know what you think!

On a side note, I notice you give your children a time limit on their gaming. If you are willing, I would love to hear your thoughts on that.

Well, I just strongly believe that Kids needs to have access to all the techy things like tablets, PCs, TV and Gaming consoles to learn dealing with them and because it's natural to use this kind of stuff. On the other hand side I strongly believe that too much of it is not good for their development. Especially my 6 year old son is really sucked into the games and tends to forget everything around and just thinking nothing else than his favorite computer games. I think he is in danger for computer gaming addiction. He clearly needs strict rules. This keeps him enjoying the games while still doing all the every day stuff and learn how to control the thing.

Quoting: whizse
Quoting: denyasisHope we're not getting too retro here, but Lemmings might be a fun bet.
[...]
Lemmings is great! There's also a free clone with Tux looking penguins called Pingus.

Also stumbled upon Fish Fillets while trying to find Pingus. It's a puzzle game aimed at kids.

Pingus/Lemmings is OK in the first levels but later not. My daughter really dislikes to sacrifice a few of the lemmings/pingus to save the rest of them. Since the first level which could be only bet by sacrificing the game is Blöd! (stupid). :-)
denyasis Dec 31, 2020
Makes sense. I think I struggled with the lemming sacrifice part when I was young. I still don't like playing evil characters in various games.

Also, thanks for sharing your opinions on game time with your kids. It was very nice to hear your opinions.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.