Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Non-Debian Distro for Gaming?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
cr0ne Dec 26, 2013
First post! I've been gaming on Linux for over half a decade now and have in the time switched from Ubuntu to Mint due to stability issues I've run into time-to-time in Ubuntu as well my own disliking of Unity. Mint however is starting to get on my nerves w/ the 6 month update cycle. I've tried Fedora but cannot stand Gnome3.

I've been thinking of giving Manjaro a try but has anyone here experienced issues gaming on non-Debian based systems? For instance, if you purchase a game from the Humble Indie bundle, sometimes their only format for the non-DRM version is a .deb package. I've also considered SolydX but I'm wary of the long-term support considering how relatively unpopular it is.

ImperialXT Dec 26, 2013
I use fedora and just install cinnamon. As for only .deb files from humble bundle you can just use alien and see how that goes.
Hyeron Dec 26, 2013
Never seen a Humble game where the only format was .deb, but anyway:
Manjaro is your go-to solution as far as I'm concerned. It's 100% compatible with Arch, the Arch wiki is one of the greatest documentations available, putting pretty much all "user-friendly" distro to shame, and problems have been few and far between (as well as easily solved) in the year and a half I've been running Arch for gaming.
If you're not afraid of unpacking a deb if it's really needed and using common sense, it shouldn't be a problem.
lordfragger Dec 26, 2013
I've been using fedora with cinnamon for a while now. Since you're running mint now I assume you're already familiar with either cinnamon or mate? Both are available in fedora (right from the dvd/repo, so no fiddling required).

I mainly get my games from steam, so no problem of only getting deb files there. There is a way to convert .deb installers to rpm though: http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/11/alien-command-examples/ I haven't tried it myself, but from what I've heard it works pretty well (and it's available from the fedora repos).
Samsai Dec 26, 2013
I've had Manjaro on my laptop for few months and I am really happy with it. The way updates are managed makes it both cutting edge and stable and you naturally get access to the Arch documentation and the AUR for larger selection of software. IMO it's the best distro out there.
Hamish Dec 26, 2013
I have been gaming on both Fedora and Arch for awhile now with next to no issues. I myself have also never encountered any games that shipped only as DEB packages, but if this does become an issue with any title you want to play and you are using Manjaro you can probably find a customized install solution for that title already uploaded onto the AUR:
http://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository

In general, I get the impression that Ubuntu/Debian users think the whole DEB versus other package formats thing is a lot more important and serious than it actually needs to be. The jump from a Debian to an RPM or to a pacman based system is actually ridiculously easy; you do not need to be as afraid of the outside world as a lot of people seem to be.

That being said, if you disliked a six month release cycle, you may not appreciate what is required to handle a rolling release - nothing too drastic, but you do need to keep on your toes and have a good understanding of how your system works. Not everyone would want to invest that much time in their computer, although as you can see here for many people it is in fact worth it.
Guest Dec 27, 2013
Medicine information sheet. Short-Term Effects.
<a href="https://avodart4us.top">avodart tablets</a> in US
Some trends of medication. Get information now.
Speedster Dec 29, 2013
Do you have a big enough harddrive that installing multiple distros is feasible? If so, you could just go for Manjaro or whatever tickles your fancy as your main system, and leave a partition of Ubuntu LTS around as a convenient fall-back for games that have a dependency issue (e.g. linked against older libs that are not included in the install and are some trouble to collect manually). Also can be handy for support purposes when you run into a bug, since so far game engines like Unity3D are validated for Ubuntu LTS, so bug reports with Ubuntu LTS as distro should not get ignored by devs as "unsupported".

P.S. Xubuntu or Kubuntu still counts as Ubuntu, so you still don't have to put up with Unity-the-desktop-thingy. I always use Xubuntu for that fall-back game partition myself.
Cool Hero Dec 30, 2013
Im using Xubuntu LTS, no problems here.
Hamish Dec 30, 2013
Somehow keeping a separate partition around just to game on seems to me to be exactly the kind of thing we have all been fighting to keep from being necessary on Linux for awhile now.

Or was it just me? :|
cr0ne Dec 31, 2013
Decided to go ahead and give Manjaro-XFCE a spin and provide my thoughts as a first time user. I used it for a couple days and while my experience may be unusual I did end up switching over to Linux Mint 16.

Some pros:
1. No issues at all running any mainstream Steam games.
2. Anything I installed through the recommended package manager (pacman) worked fine.
3. Easy to setup NVidia drivers.

Then again, these are all things I can get with just about any Linux distro. The main advantage I saw over debian is that there are more and more up-to-date packages in the AUR and official pacman repos. For instance, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is still on 12.x in the Ubuntu repos. With Ubuntu/Mint I have to frequently get many of my game binaries directly from the source websites.

Issues I ran into:
1. Anything I installed through pacman worked fine. The same cannot be said about some of the games I play in the AUR that do not have a big community following but are important to me. For instance, Zandronum (doom source) kept seg-faulting on death. I made sure I had all dependent shared libraries and also ran it through gdb and it really looked as if it were a bug in Zandronum - possibly an incompatibility with the latest kernel. I had a similar issue with doomrl (rogue like) but found the bug related to their sound code and was able to circumvent the problems by disabling sound [in doomrl].
2. Could not play ZDaemon through wine - it kept crashing. Again this is probably related to the new-ness of my kernel/wine and not Arch/Manjaro but it does speak to the merits of using an older/stable kernel. Very little in terms of support online for this as ZDaemon has a relatively small following.
3. Unable to get ps3 media server to stream mkv files with subtitles to a ps3. It uses mencoder and I got it working with out subtitles. Unfortunately the error messages from the ps3 media server provide very little insight into what is going wrong so there is really no way to figure out if I am missing a codec of some sort, however I have no problem viewing the mkv files in SMPlayer. 
4. Possibly an xfce issue, but occasionally the OS interpreted my mouse-wheel as being locked on the "up" position. This would happen occasionally (once every few hours) while on the desktop and the workaround is to unplug the mouse and plug it back in. I have a Razer Abyssus which does not have any Linux drivers.

I thought I wanted a cutting edge kernel and what I realized is what I really needed was stability. Most the games/apps I play or use are either 5+ years old or run in Unity engine. Even if I want to play something new like Serious Sam 3 you can do so with an old Mint/Ubuntu distro w/ the latest NVIdia drivers.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.