Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Any success running Valheim in Wayland without XWayland?
Hubro Mar 9, 2021
When I run Valheim under Wayland, it starts in an XWayland window. I'm having some weird framerate issues, whenever I run in Windowed mode, the game runs at over 100 fps but it looks like it's running at around 10 fps, it's completely unplayable.

I suspect XWayland is the culprit, so I'd like to try running it without XWayland. Using system SDL libraries works fine:

LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib64/libSDL2.so:/usr/lib/libSDL2.so:$LD_PRELOAD" %command%

However, as soon as I try to force it to run without XWayland the game never starts:

SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib64/libSDL2.so:/usr/lib/libSDL2.so:$LD_PRELOAD" %command%

It just says "Running" for a moment then exits without displaying a window.

Has anybody had any luck getting this game to run natively in Wayland?
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
Xpander Mar 9, 2021
you can't afaik.. its unity engine and its not compiled to work without X so i doubt its even possible without XWayland at this point
Hubro Mar 9, 2021
Quoting: Xpanderyou can't afaik.. its unity engine and its not compiled to work without X so i doubt its even possible without XWayland at this point

Ah, that's disappointing... I assumed most games just relied on SDL2 and shouldn't be reliant on any particular windowing system or environment
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.