Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Hollow Knight
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
Pangaea Mar 12, 2021
Quoting: GuestCrystal Peak its on the right upper corner i think dont know it 100% now but just look around. For difficulty i dont know if i can answer that correctly since i play myself rather in such games (Dark Souls , Hollow Knight , Dead Cells and much more, basically everything whats considered "hard") so rather than answering if it gets more difficult i give you a tip: practice. Learn the move pattern from the enemies and rest is i would say just a thing of good reactions.
Thank you. Yes, that is what I'm trying, learning movement and attack patterns and being patient. It works really well now against most enemies I encounter, and I can mostly kill them without getting hit (unless I try to move fast), but the bosses is a different thing. They are so fast and there is so much going on, and it's hard to practice when you need to travel that far to have another go.

However, I found another way now in the eastern Crystal Peaks. There was a way I hadn't seen earlier. I'm not supposed to jump east after those flip-floors. Hopefully I can find my way now, to presumably another impossible boss. Oh dear... :D

I never played the Souls games, so this type of game is new to me. Super Mario and the like a thousand years ago was rather more easy-going than this, hah.
Pangaea Mar 13, 2021
Well, that was a bundle of fun. Keyboard is now missing some keys, including the left shift and some numbers (and funnily enough, the Windows key). If the game had a death counter, it would have to use at least 64 bits. Probably more.

...and yet I kinda want to dive back in there. I must be mentally deranged. Wish there were more benches though, but didn't see any mods with that.

Suppose it's safe to say that was a full-blown rage quit

Damn banker ran off with my 2900 geo too, so I'm back at nothing (it's realistic, tho, I'll give them that).

The bosses and some of the enemies are utterly soul crushing. Some flying dipshits in Queen's Garden put me over the edge, literally too. They kept shooting flying saucers that hit me twice and put me into the spikes, losing 3 hearts in essentially one go. And there are heaps of the bastards on screen, in a locked room, with the shade inside.

Was so happy when I fought the soul master, because I defeated him the first time. I thought. Then there was a second phase and he destroyed me in seconds. Got to that phase one more time, but mostly losing to him in the first phase. Way too much crap going on.

Basically I wish it was possible to get to other areas now without facing all these "impossible" bosses.

The only goal I have now is to farm geo so I can buy some notches from that woman I suddenly learned existed in the Crossroads. I only have 4, and a zillion charms.
Pangaea Mar 13, 2021
Managed to beat the Soul Bastard after a million tries, got the ability, and was looking forward to bust those floors I had seen here and there. However, I can't get out of the Soul Sanctum/boss area. Have gone around about 5 times now, killing a horde of the respawning fish things, found the secret area and busted through the shaky floors here (3-4 of them).

I did come across the corpse of the boss, and hit the dream nail on him because he was shimmering with those effects, thinking maybe I'd get some dialogue. That got me into a dream sequence of sorts, with a much worse version of him called the Soul Tyrant. Naturally I died in seconds. The whole screen is even more nuked than normal in this game.

As a last resort I tried to quit and load the save again, hoping I'd be back at the bench. But no. I just respawn next to the boss. I've hit what switches I've seen around the place, but can't get out. Don't have the compass on me either, since it wasn't needed in a boss fight. So I can't really see where I am, but it's a fairly small place.

Any ideas what is wrong? If I need to beat the soul tyrant first, I may as well put the game aside. That ain't happening if I try another million times.

This is where I spawn when loading the save.
Spoiler, click me
Pangaea Mar 13, 2021
Thanks. Gee, I hadn't gone high enough in that room at the end, but went left there. Everything else I had done, including all the shaky floors, grub, etc. Should be fine now (not tried in-game yet), I was worried about a game-stopping weird bug or something.
Pangaea Mar 15, 2021
Yeah, I've had it now. Dying a million times to bosses or spikes everywhere but 1 pixel and then having to travel for 5 minutes back each time is just wasting my time. And making me feel like shit. Presumably got quite far as I got the achievement for all maps, and don't see much unrevealed, but this is just too much for me. Queen's Garden can suck on a big one, and the rest of the bosses can keep laughing in peace.

Mantis lords was the last I was able to beat, and that was very lucky with one skull left. Died to white knights when there were only two (I saw somewhere they will get to 5-6). Deepnest was a lot of fun, tho. Great atmosphere and music in the game, and I loved the exploration. But not much left to explore now. Only Queen's Garden really. Then boss fight after boss fight, and the blasted trials.

Dying, usually within seconds, hundreds of times in a row is not fun. Just makes me feel like total shit, and I have real life for that.

Shame to not get to the end, because the story was quite intriguing, but this isn't healthy.

...or like some streamer apparently said, "I need to play some Dark Souls now to relax."

Last edited by Pangaea on 15 March 2021 at 6:02 pm UTC
Pangaea Mar 15, 2021
I was an idiot and tried again. Hard to leave a game unfinished.

It has now been uninstalled and deleted. Doubt I'll buy the sequel after all.
Pangaea Mar 16, 2021
Sorry to keep going on here, but I wanted to see how things ended, so I watched the end of a playthrough on YouTube.
White Palace episode (SICK!!!) (2nd to last, obviously huge spoilers)

That is sadistic , haha. A million saw and choppy-choppy areas where millimeter precision and millisecond timing is required. Total madness. Glad I stopped when I did (but should have done it earlier). Wouldn't have been able to get through that if I played non-stop until the game after Silksong gets out.

Respect to people who actually played through that to the bitter end, but seriously, that is not achievable for normal human beings. Holy shit. I hope Silksong will be more accessible for people who aren't professional gamers or with divine memory and patience. The game does a lot of things right, but some (all?) of the end-game bosses and some of the platforming is simply unfair and sadistic. Art, music and atmosphere is fantastic, though, and it was lovely to go around exploring the map and slowly discovering more of it. Felt lost and didn't know where to go a lot of the time, but that's okay. Some of the other aspects with the game were not, at least for me.
denyasis Mar 19, 2021
I think... That part is optional. There's a few end game levels that are pretty optional and hard. I think they can give you different endings. This thread has kinda made me want to play Hollow Knight again, or at least a similar type game ( maybe not as impossible, I remember a lot of frustration on my part)
Pangaea Mar 20, 2021
Actually started playing again some days ago. It generally went better and I defeated a good bunch of (mini)-bosses on the first to third attempt. Struggled with the Mantis Lords, but got them eventually. Have now reached roughly where I was before, and motivation is zapping out. Pretty much every inch of the map is explored, and what is left is a bunch of super-hard bosses and also very difficult platforming sections. So it's backtracking central again. Not very fun :(

The game up to this point is fantastic, which is probably why I started over (had deleted all saves earlier in disgust), but I really do wish the endgame was a little different.

(I'm playing with keyboard control, but that seems to work well tbh, so not sure it's a hindrance in this game)

Are there other similar games, with not such an extreme difficulty level, that might be fun to try out? The game is often lumped together with Ori, but are there others in a similar-ish category?
denyasis Mar 20, 2021
Not sure, but I would be interested in similar games too.

I've tried Dust, an Elysian Tail, which seemed similar, but much easier. It's more in the beat em up category.

I think Hollow Knight does spoil the rest, it's so well done on every level everything else I've browsed for seems... Not as engaging
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.