Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Linux sightings in TV, film and other media
Page: «2/4»
  Go to:
dubigrasu Apr 12, 2021
Saw recently this Ubuntu on a AI doc:

And I also remembered this Lone Gunmen (X-Files spin-off) episode:

ysblokje Apr 13, 2021
Here's one for the Dutch among us : The sketch series "Toren C" featured ubuntu on most if not all of their desktops at least in the early years.

From Original sketch. , quite recognizable... printing in the 2000s was never fun ;)

edit : modified image link

Last edited by ysblokje on 13 April 2021 at 8:47 am UTC
dubigrasu Apr 13, 2021
Quoting: ysblokjeprinting in the 2000s was never fun ;)
It still isn't for some printers, I have some HP/whatever printer that I could never made it to work in Linux, and I keep a W7 on a laptop just for it.
slaapliedje Apr 14, 2021
Quoting: dubigrasu
It still isn't for some printers, I have some HP/whatever printer that I could never made it to work in Linux, and I keep a W7 on a laptop just for it.
This always seems odd to me, HP has literally THE best linux support on their printers. I set up a new system and basically it detects my Laserjet on the network and installs the drivers pretty much right when I open the printer dialog.
slaapliedje Apr 14, 2021
Quoting: dubigrasuSaw recently this Ubuntu on a AI doc:

And I also remembered this Lone Gunmen (X-Files spin-off) episode:

I still need to finish the last few episodes of X-files, I like that they made a ghost in the machine episode mentioning the Lone Gunmen. Man that was one of Fox's shortest lived series, next to The Tick. Even Firefly had a few more episodes made than either of those two. Both were great series too. At least Firefly lives on in comics and books. The Tick.. I think got canceled yet again by Amazon?
ysblokje Apr 14, 2021
Quoting: slaapliedje
This always seems odd to me, HP has literally THE best linux support on their printers. I set up a new system and basically it detects my Laserjet on the network and installs the drivers pretty much right when I open the printer dialog.

I used to work at big installer / building company as an admin and I have mixed memories when it comes to HP.
Remember GDI printers? HP had those too, and what was worse the printerdrivers were sabotaged in such a manner that sharing the printer from a windows machine was also impossible. (even between windows machines)
Yes HP has a lot of supported printers but they pulled a lot of shit too. Same can be said for Brother and a lot of others. I had great working brother printers and completely b0rked ones.

I got a Samsung Xpress MFP for free a few years ago and that works great, that's a HP in disguise. The neat trick with that one is that it has Airprint / Airscan for apple, so it works "driverless" with cups and via a patched Xsane driver.

Anyway that's enough off-topic for me.
slaapliedje Apr 15, 2021
Quoting: ysblokje

I used to work at big installer / building company as an admin and I have mixed memories when it comes to HP.
Remember GDI printers? HP had those too, and what was worse the printerdrivers were sabotaged in such a manner that sharing the printer from a windows machine was also impossible. (even between windows machines)
Yes HP has a lot of supported printers but they pulled a lot of shit too. Same can be said for Brother and a lot of others. I had great working brother printers and completely b0rked ones.

I got a Samsung Xpress MFP for free a few years ago and that works great, that's a HP in disguise. The neat trick with that one is that it has Airprint / Airscan for apple, so it works "driverless" with cups and via a patched Xsane driver.

For randomness, I bought a non-color laser printer that is a Samsung, would have to look up the model again (M2571N?) That is networked, USB.. and most importantly, a Centronics interface! I have successfully used it on my Atari 8bits and Apple IIGS and Linux. Talk about a versatile thing! Supports the old Epson and IBM proprinter languages. Only thinga that would make it better would be color support and a continuous sheet feeder for the print shop banners!
CFWhitman Apr 15, 2021
Quoting: ysblokje

That's interesting because I have an old Xerox laser printer that is actually a Samsung printer in disguise. It doesn't have any official drivers for any Windows newer than XP. These days it is automatically recognized by Linux. I have it attached to my media server and served out through CUPS. It is automatically available to just about anything I attach to my network, including Windows 10 machines and Android devices as an IPP printer.
Koopacabras Apr 16, 2021
well this is a very old video from a TV news show here about Hyakutake Comet that passed very close to the earth on the nineties... a few days ago it was the anniversary and I was revisiting some of this old videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fil2CmDzi3o

this is really old damm, but this looks like Caldera Linux to me (or Red Hat), this is really rare some people using Linux on 1996 (don't know what distro it is, but that's the CDE desktop though)
or maybe this is Solaris 2?

Last edited by Koopacabras on 16 April 2021 at 3:42 am UTC
slaapliedje Apr 16, 2021
Quoting: The_Aquabatwell this is a very old video from a TV news show here about Hyakutake Comet that passed very close to the earth on the nineties... a few days ago it was the anniversary and I was revisiting some of this old videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fil2CmDzi3o

this is really old damm, but this looks like Caldera Linux to me (or Red Hat), this is really rare some people using Linux on 1996 (don't know what distro it is, but that's the CDE desktop though)
or maybe this is Solaris 2?

The other one that's somewhat interesting of a topic is spotting Linux out in the wild. Lowe's for example uses Redhat on their terminals throughout their stores. And I've seen Ubuntu used in car oil shops, like Jiffy Lube
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.