Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Linux sightings in TV, film and other media
Page: «3/4»
  Go to:
Koopacabras Apr 16, 2021
Quoting: slaapliedjeThe other one that's somewhat interesting of a topic is spotting Linux out in the wild. Lowe's for example uses Redhat on their terminals throughout their stores. And I've seen Ubuntu used in car oil shops, like Jiffy Lube
my router uses Linux it's a TP link 841HP, I would have never guessed it; and I didn't buy it for that reason, I only picked some random router. On the drivers/firmware download page they include some GPL code . Just bringing this up, since maybe some of you might want to buy it, since in a way you are indirectly supporting linux, because the code it's out there and it can be upstreamed. afaik not a lot of people know that TP link contributes to the linux kernel (in one way or another). Never read any linux news site mentioning anything about TP link like ever.
But don't expect to do anything apart from it's main use, this seems like a black box, like the TiVO, I think that there's no way to login into bash on this router.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 16 April 2021 at 5:38 am UTC
damarrin Apr 16, 2021
Are there any routers running Windows?

Last edited by damarrin on 16 April 2021 at 7:38 am UTC
slaapliedje Apr 16, 2021
Quoting: The_Aquabat
Quoting: slaapliedjeThe other one that's somewhat interesting of a topic is spotting Linux out in the wild. Lowe's for example uses Redhat on their terminals throughout their stores. And I've seen Ubuntu used in car oil shops, like Jiffy Lube
my router uses Linux it's a TP link 841HP, I would have never guessed it; and I didn't buy it for that reason, I only picked some random router. On the drivers/firmware download page they include some GPL code . Just bringing this up, since maybe some of you might want to buy it, since in a way you are indirectly supporting linux, because the code it's out there and it can be upstreamed. afaik not a lot of people know that TP link contributes to the linux kernel (in one way or another). Never read any linux news site mentioning anything about TP link like ever.
But don't expect to do anything apart from it's main use, this seems like a black box, like the TiVO, I think that there's no way to login into bash on this router.
Pretty much every router on the planet runs either Linux or some custom embedded OS, like Cisco's IOS (as opposed to Apple's iOS). Also note, that sadly most of these don't get updated whenever there is the CVE of the week...
Rutine Apr 16, 2021
On the Big Bang Theory, they talk a few times about Linux.
I loved this quote from Sheldon "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favourite Linux-based operating system"

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/c5j3f/sheldon_from_the_big_bang_theory_uses_ubuntu/

Last edited by Rutine on 16 April 2021 at 5:26 pm UTC
slaapliedje Apr 23, 2021
Was just watching a video about Dark Angel (yup that series from 2000 that had Jessica Alba in it and was made by James Cameron.) and it looked like the dude 'Eyes Only' was using Linux with Enlightenment for hacking the broadcasts! I'll have to go back through my DVDs and take screenshots, as I don't see them online anywhere.
dubigrasu Aug 24, 2021
Just watched a short video about Boston Dynamics's Atlas, and seems that the meat of the development is happening on Ubuntu.

There are some Windows instances, but throughout the video, Linux seems to dominate on BD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EezdinoG4mk&ab_channel=BostonDynamics
Not surprised, but still nice to see it.
damarrin Aug 25, 2021
Their machines are properly scary. That’s our extinction right there.
slaapliedje Aug 26, 2021
Quoting: damarrinTheir machines are properly scary. That’s our extinction right there.
I personally look forward to our robot overlords.
slaapliedje Sep 7, 2021
I still think my favorite Linux on screen was on the extras of Lord of the Rings movies, Weta used a Lot of Linux desktops to make those movies.
dubigrasu Sep 7, 2021
I just saw a video from Tom Scott, about tracking satellites with lasers, and you can see several instances of KDE being used.
I'm not sure what OS is though, you can zoom and make out the logo of what seems to be KDE neon, maybe?

https://youtu.be/vdvIY0CJaXw
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.