Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Gabe Newell hints that Steam could come to consoles (not really)
dubigrasu May 12, 2021
Found this today:
https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/681302-gabe-newell-hints-steam-could-come-to-consoles
Several links in there worth exploring, but the gist of it is:
QuoteA member of the panel asks if Steam will ever come to consoles, at which point Newell responds, “You’ll get a better idea of that by the end of this year".

Wonder what's Valve cooking in there?

Last edited by dubigrasu on 17 May 2021 at 3:59 am UTC
Ehvis May 12, 2021
It's not like Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo would ever allow a storefront to come to their console and take their revenue, it's more likely that Valve plans to get back into console-like hardware. Which is not really a surprise.
denyasis May 12, 2021
Make sense, especially if you can lock the PC market into your console. It's really the last gaming market with open competition as far as store fronts go
dubigrasu May 13, 2021
I can think of two things for now:

-Some form of cloud gaming in partnership and accessible from consoles, So something official, not some browser workaround (like Stadia on Xbox/etc).
-A second attempt at Steam Machines, Gabe did mentioned (in another interview) that he was not happy with the Steam Machines, but he wasn't very clear if the idea or the execution were wrong. Maybe this time they've learned their lessons.
This idea makes me very giddy, I must confess. What I'd like to see different this time is an official Steam Machine standard, as much as possible consistent in terms of OS/software and hardware. Not locked mind you, but something that a game developer could easily target.
Liam Dawe May 13, 2021
The most likely is Half-Life: Alyx going to PSVR 2 which is why they're talking end-of-year for knowing a bit more.
dubigrasu May 13, 2021
Quoting: Liam DaweThe most likely is Half-Life: Alyx going to PSVR 2 which is why they're talking end-of-year for knowing a bit more.
After watching the video more carefully, indeed, I toned down my enthusiasm.
The intriguing quote that I posted initially is just taken from the article, but the actual question sounded different:
Quote- Will Steam be putting any games on consoles, or will it just stay on, ah, PC?
- You will get a better idea of that by the end of this year.
Mohandevir May 14, 2021
But...

"It won't be the answer you would expect."

Seriously, it's been a while since I lost hope in a new wave of Steam Machines, as much as I would like that. Liam must have nailed it. Valve seems focused on VR, now.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.