Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
AmigaOS 3.2 announced!
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
slaapliedje May 15, 2021
https://www.hyperion-entertainment.com/index.php/news/1-latest-news/290-amigaos-42-for-all-classic-amigas-released-and-available

Been waiting for this for a few years now, looking forward to putting my Video Toaster set up back together and doing some videos with it for emulation (was going to pipe in old composite computers through it so I could then use some old school VT effects!
Liam Dawe May 15, 2021
Quoting: GuestThat’s a bit weird as 3.5 was out a very long time ago already…
4.1 is the main one they advertise too. I think this new 3.2 release is for more classic hardware?
wvstolzing May 15, 2021
Quoting: Liam Dawe
4.1 is the main one they advertise too. I think this new 3.2 release is for more classic hardware?

I think that's right. 3.5 is for 68K systems like the original Amigas; 4.1 is for the PPC line, which I believe is entirely a fan initiative.

Last edited by wvstolzing on 15 May 2021 at 12:08 pm UTC
F.Ultra May 15, 2021

Perhaps you are thinking about Workbench 3.5 which was released in 1999?

edit: No you are correct. Another company Haage & Partner got a license for AmigaOS in 1999 and release v3.5 that required a 68020. Later Hyperion Entertainment forked the older 3.1 and released 3.1.4 and now 3.2 based on the 3.1 port and the new 3.2 requires a normal 68000 again so that you can run it on you A500.

Last edited by F.Ultra on 15 May 2021 at 1:22 pm UTC
slaapliedje May 15, 2021
Quoting: F.Ultra

edit: No you are correct. Another company Haage & Partner got a license for AmigaOS in 1999 and release v3.5 that required a 68020. Later Hyperion Entertainment forked the older 3.1 and released 3.1.4 and now 3.2 based on the 3.1 port and the new 3.2 requires a normal 68000 again so that you can run it on you A500.
Yup. But of course 3.2 requires 2mb of ram and a 10mb hard drive.

Haage & Partner released 3.5 and 3.9.

So confusingly we have, 1.3-3.1 from Commodore. 3.1.4.x and 3.2 from Hyperion, 3.5 and 3.9 from H&P, and 4.x from Hyperion (which requires a PPC, and select hardware, and is much older than 3.2 which was just announced).

Also to confuse matters, it sounds like 3.2 will be distributed as a physical CD-ROM initially, that includes images for all of the ROM files (I think from 1.3-3.2 and for all the different systems including experimental updates for the CDTV and CD32). Then later they'll sell individual systems' updates as digital downloads (like they did for 3.1.4). Also sounds like the full floppy disk version of 3.2 would be on 28 floppies (compared to 6 for 3.1.x).

I figure I'll have to order the CD, and then program my own EEPROMs. Either way, they added resizable windows from any border! Such a feature is standard everywhere else, but was a 'hack' for the AmigaOS :P
Liam Dawe May 15, 2021
Gosh I miss my Amiga, what a cracking unit it was. Played soooo many games on it, had boxes upon boxes full of disks. Wish my parents had kept it all. So many fantastic games. I remember playing endless hours of Dune 2 and UFO on them, the Amiga is really what spawned my love of computing. Definitely wouldn't be here without it.
slaapliedje May 15, 2021
Quoting: GuestI loved Dune 1 myself ;)
And still got 4 Amigas and many floppy disks, but to be honest I haven’t used them in decades.
I bought a thing that is known as a Toaster Oven. Basically it is an A4000d crammed into a tower case with a video toaster and flyer. Eventually (once I figure it all out) I am going to see if I can use it in production of some retro gaming videos.

The Amiga is an amazing platform. At least the Vampire Standalone is finally encouraging more open source development with ApolloOS (which is an evolution of Aros).

I say it is time to pull those Amigas out (check all the capacitors / batteries) and fire them up!
slaapliedje May 15, 2021
Quoting: Liam DaweGosh I miss my Amiga, what a cracking unit it was. Played soooo many games on it, had boxes upon boxes full of disks. Wish my parents had kept it all. So many fantastic games. I remember playing endless hours of Dune 2 and UFO on them, the Amiga is really what spawned my love of computing. Definitely wouldn't be here without it.
So no "gamingonamiga.com"? Sad days!
F.Ultra May 17, 2021
Quoting: slaapliedje

So confusingly we have, 1.3-3.1 from Commodore. 3.1.4.x and 3.2 from Hyperion, 3.5 and 3.9 from H&P, and 4.x from Hyperion (which requires a PPC, and select hardware, and is much older than 3.2 which was just announced).

Also to confuse matters, it sounds like 3.2 will be distributed as a physical CD-ROM initially, that includes images for all of the ROM files (I think from 1.3-3.2 and for all the different systems including experimental updates for the CDTV and CD32). Then later they'll sell individual systems' updates as digital downloads (like they did for 3.1.4). Also sounds like the full floppy disk version of 3.2 would be on 28 floppies (compared to 6 for 3.1.x).

I figure I'll have to order the CD, and then program my own EEPROMs. Either way, they added resizable windows from any border! Such a feature is standard everywhere else, but was a 'hack' for the AmigaOS :P

Yeah really confusing, my only guess is that the source to 3.5 and 3.9 is lost which is why they forked 3.1 since the source for 3.1 was leaked years ago. Just wish they could have used better naming / version scheme.
slaapliedje May 17, 2021
Quoting: slaapliedje

Yeah really confusing, my only guess is that the source to 3.5 and 3.9 is lost which is why they forked 3.1 since the source for 3.1 was leaked years ago. Just wish they could have used better naming / version scheme.
So I'll try to clear some of this up, and I'll probably screw something up, as you say, it's confusing...

1.x to 3.1 were Commodore releases
3.X (yeah that's the actual version) is owned by Cloanto (who makes Amiga Forever)
3.5 and 3.9 are owned by Haage & Partner, who no longer have rights to make more versions(?)
3.1.4.x and 3.2 are owned by Hyperion.

The above are all 68k releases. With 3.5 and 3.9 having some PPC support.
4.x is fully PPC, and has some pretty strict requirements.

This is without going into things like MorphOS and AROS/ApolloOS.
Dunc May 19, 2021
Quoting: slaapliedje1.x to 3.1 were Commodore releases
3.X (yeah that's the actual version) is owned by Cloanto (who makes Amiga Forever)
3.5 and 3.9 are owned by Haage & Partner, who no longer have rights to make more versions(?)
3.1.4.x and 3.2 are owned by Hyperion.

The above are all 68k releases. With 3.5 and 3.9 having some PPC support.
4.x is fully PPC, and has some pretty strict requirements.

This is without going into things like MorphOS and AROS/ApolloOS.
As I understand it, Cloanto, through a company called Amiga Corporation (formerly C-A Acquisition Corporation), basically owns all the former Commodore-Amiga IP now, going right back through the 8-bit days to the PET. This seems to include the licencing of 3.1 to Hyperion that the latter negotiated in settlement of the lawsuit in 2009 (C-A AC acquired “all Amiga-related rights” from Amiga, Inc.), and probably includes 3.5 and 3.9, since those were developed by H&P under contract for Amiga, Inc.

But I may be wrong. The last 20 years have been an absolute mess.

Last edited by Dunc on 19 May 2021 at 3:03 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.