You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
I need help to run a RPGMaker VX game (忍屋/Shinobiya)
tumeo May 15, 2021
Hello!

I found this game (忍屋/Shinobiya) today but I'm not able to run it properly on Wine.
The game runs with no visual/sound glitches, but the FPS is no more than 10FPS.

shinobiya game window

So, I have an Intel UHD Graphics 620 and a NVIDIA GeForce MX110.

I tried both GPUs.
With Intel, the game shows up with poor FPS.
With Nvidia (prime-run), the graphics does not appear (only the sound and input work).

Downloading the game is free, so anyone can try it out.

Official site: https://dokococo.com/shinobiya/
Official download site: https://freegame-mugen.jp/action/game_9491.html

The site is entirely in Japanese, so here's a tip on how to download it:
Just scroll down and click on a green button like the following one:

More system info:
Kernel: 5.11.18-1-MANJARO
Nvidia driver: linux511-nvidia 460.73.01-3
Wine version: wine 6.7-1

Last edited by tumeo on 15 May 2021 at 8:22 am UTC
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
Trias May 16, 2021
Out of curiosity - how are you measuring fps for this game? I tried DXVK_HUD but it did nothing...
tumeo May 16, 2021
Quoting: TriasOut of curiosity - how are you measuring fps for this game? I tried DXVK_HUD but it did nothing...
If you press F2, the status of the FPS will appear in the top bar of the window.
Trias May 16, 2021
That was much easier then I thought... :). Thanks!
Trias May 16, 2021
The game works fine for me in wine 6.0 and earlier. It has problems with fps in wine 6.4 and up. Didn't test it for 6.1 - 6.3. So, I suggest to try it in wine 6.0 in your setup.

By the way, do you know japanese or does this game has a translation somewhere?
tumeo May 16, 2021
Oh, it's working fine on Wine 6.0 (Intel only)! Thanks!!

Quoting: TriasBy the way, do you know japanese or does this game has a translation somewhere?
I'm still learning Japanese, unfortunately there is no translation yet.

Last edited by tumeo on 16 May 2021 at 9:32 pm UTC
fenglengshun May 19, 2021
As someone who, ahem, play a lot of RPG Maker games, VX usually are more stable than MV in my experience (though sometimes I forgot to install the runtime for VX first after a re-install or deleting wine prefixes). So far the only VX game I had problem with was Country Girl Keiko which tbf is 4 games compiled into one game, each games having their own Game folder, probably creating some issues with working directory or something.

For maximum compatibility though, IIRC disabling or changing d3d9 dll (or was it d3d11? Pretty sure it's d3d9) and setting LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 (or LC_ALL, though that one will re-configure your wine prefix) to be good enough for most RPG Maker games.
Trias May 19, 2021
Quoting: fenglengshunFor maximum compatibility though, IIRC disabling or changing d3d9 dll (or was it d3d11? Pretty sure it's d3d9) and setting LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 (or LC_ALL, though that one will re-configure your wine prefix) to be good enough for most RPG Maker games.

Setting LANG variable is all right, but how are you disabling specific dlls inside a prefix?
fenglengshun May 24, 2021
Quoting: Trias
Quoting: fenglengshunFor maximum compatibility though, IIRC disabling or changing d3d9 dll (or was it d3d11? Pretty sure it's d3d9) and setting LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 (or LC_ALL, though that one will re-configure your wine prefix) to be good enough for most RPG Maker games.

Setting LANG variable is all right, but how are you disabling specific dlls inside a prefix?
You can either use winecfg with the right WINEPREFIX variable, or use WINEDLLOVERRIDES which is more of a hassle but sometimes it's your only option in cases like when you're using Lutris or don't want to mess with winecfg. I usually just open winecfg, disable the relevant dll, then run the game while keeping the winecfg open so that I don't forget to re-enable it.

Also, there was two guides on how to run Japanese VNs I found a few days ago, which is all about running Japanese games in general, so it might be worth a read. I did make sure to create its own wine prefix though, and then added a menu item to launch the game using that Wine Prefix and using the JP language, to make it easier to open from file manager instead of using Lutris.
Trias May 24, 2021
Quoting: fenglengshunYou can either use winecfg with the right WINEPREFIX variable, or use WINEDLLOVERRIDES which is more of a hassle but sometimes it's your only option in cases like when you're using Lutris or don't want to mess with winecfg. I usually just open winecfg, disable the relevant dll, then run the game while keeping the winecfg open so that I don't forget to re-enable it.

Also, there was two guides on how to run Japanese VNs I found a few days ago, which is all about running Japanese games in general, so it might be worth a read. I did make sure to create its own wine prefix though, and then added a menu item to launch the game using that Wine Prefix and using the JP language, to make it easier to open from file manager instead of using Lutris.

Those links look helpful, thanks for the answer!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.