Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Nonstop system freezes/crashes since switching to AMD
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
RossBC Jun 8, 2021
Try disabling core boost and precision boost in your bios.
Run your computer and see if it crashes.
I have a similar problem with my system, the motherboard for one reason or another isn't managing the voltages properly.
And stock overclock (core boost and precision boost) were on by default.
Guess it could also be the cpu as well, but I found killing the motherboards stock oc fixed the problem for me.
running a R7 5800x.
Pangaea Jun 8, 2021
Your problems sounds a lot like what was reported in this rather big thread: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/forum/topic/4128

It may not be a client-side problem. Like @The_Aquabat is also inferring.
brokeassben Jun 9, 2021
Well shit. It had a few hours of stability followed by several freezes. Briefly thought that @TheAquabat had the answer with this:
Quoting: The_Aquabatprocessor.max_cstate=1 rcu_nocbs=0-23 idle=nomwait
or
processor.max_cstate=5 rcu_nocbs=0-23 idle=nomwait
Thanks, though. Here's my dmesg output in hopes somone can see something obvious I'm missing:
https://pastebin.com/2pgiJ52y

Quoting: RossBCTry disabling core boost and precision boost in your bios.
Got a crash within about 5 min :(

Quoting: Liam DaweI would seriously suggest checking the RAM. Most of the time this is a RAM problem.
Tried dropping the RAM to its base frequency as well as max. Sorta took your advice and am replacing the RAM out of desperation for a stable computer. It's been a frustrating experience.

Last edited by brokeassben on 9 June 2021 at 4:53 am UTC
Xpander Jun 9, 2021
the dmesg log you posted doesnt have anything weird except your drive is failing..ext4 errors
Liam Dawe Jun 9, 2021
Quoting: Xpanderthe dmesg log you posted doesnt have anything weird except your drive is failing..ext4 errors
Ouch, didn't even think of that. A failing drive could even be an issue.
brokeassben Jun 9, 2021
Quoting: Liam Dawe
Quoting: Xpanderthe dmesg log you posted doesnt have anything weird except your drive is failing..ext4 errors
Ouch, didn't even think of that. A failing drive could even be an issue.
That might explain why Windows is stable since it can't mount that drive. Might also explain why Steam's shader caching will hang for hours at a time. After several years of help desk work, that should have occurred to me 🤦‍♂️ Also just dawned on me that I've had the two platter drives in three different computer builds since 2013 and they've gotten A LOT of use. SMART reporting shows OK health, but several errors including many marked as "pre-fail." Well I feel like an idiot. Going to disconnect the drive and see if that solves all of my woes.
Koopacabras Jun 10, 2021
yes, right, a failing hard drive can produce similar sympthoms, random reboots hard freezes, but you would normally get something from dmesg telling that there is an I/O error on the drive.
are u using journalctl? u could check on the next boot after a failure with

journactl -b -1

Last edited by Koopacabras on 10 June 2021 at 4:14 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.