Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
The Witcher 2 in Wine
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Shmerl Jul 4, 2021
I just tired running TW2 in Wine+dxvk to compare performance to eON port, but it simply crashes on startup now.

The only error I see looks like this:

0114:fixme:rawinput:RegisterRawInputDevices Unhandled flags 0x230 for device 0.

Did anyone manage to run it with recent Wine?

I'll probably open a Wine bug about it.

Last edited by Shmerl on 4 July 2021 at 6:12 pm UTC
Shmerl Jul 5, 2021
OK, it works after installing d3dcompiler_47 with winetricks.

dxvk loads the GPU more evenly, so performance looks better than eON in the starting scene (max settings, ubersampling off, 2560x1440, Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT):

eON (OpenGL)

dxvk (Vulkan)

Last edited by Shmerl on 5 July 2021 at 1:30 am UTC
Shmerl Jul 5, 2021
Interestingly, with this beast of the GPU, ubersampling option actually becomes viable and when it's enabled framerate is still quite good (it reduces framerate practically in half):

It really improves visuals in the game:

Ubersampling on:

Last edited by Shmerl on 5 July 2021 at 1:40 am UTC
Ehvis Jul 5, 2021
I tried to play it in Proton a while back, but it turns out it had on major problem. TW2 needs a patch (hex edit) to make it work on ultrawide screen. That patch works fine for the native version, but in proton it wouldn't run. Which was unfortunate because the native version becomes really unstable at high resolutions+settings (runs out of memory every 60-90 minutes).

Ubersampling was nice to look at, but I opted out of it because it turned my GPU fan on and the silence was much nicer than the visual improvement.
Shmerl Jul 5, 2021
PC Gaming wiki recommends using widescreen fixer: https://github.com/dlrudie/WidescreenFixer/releases

I don't have such monitor, so I never tried it.
Ehvis Jul 5, 2021
Quoting: ShmerlPC Gaming wiki recommends using widescreen fixer: https://github.com/dlrudie/WidescreenFixer/releases

As far as I could tell, not working with Wine.

The irony is that Witcher 1 did fine in ultrawide for the 3D part and only needed a fix for the cutscenes.
Pangaea Jul 6, 2021
Is it just me, or does the lighting in Witcher 2 look really weird, or awkward? I recall the shadows were quite odd too. Thankfully that was miles better in Witcher 3. I tried every setting imaginable in TW2 to fix them, but nothing would really do much.

Would be cool if you got it running better in Wine+DXVK though.
Shmerl Jul 6, 2021
The lighting is just different in TW2 - I don't think you can do anything about it. It didn't bother me that much.
Pangaea Jul 6, 2021
Didn't really bother me, I suppose, but it looked so strange and unnatural.

Then again, wasn't Witcher 2 much easier to mod, because CDPR released proper modding tools for it? RedKit2 or something like that. Considering the amount of lighting mods for TW3 (I've not tried any, because I like the default game, mostly), it wouldn't surprise me if there are some of those for TW2 as well. Don't think I used any mods for that game. Or maybe some minor visual ones. Been too many years now, and for some reason I didn't enjoy the game as much as Witcher 1 or Witcher 3. It felt more free and open to me, instead of the locked chapters/area system. Well, that was there in TW1 as well, but that game was such a gem
Koopacabras Jul 6, 2021
Quoting: PangaeaI didn't enjoy the game as much as Witcher 1 or Witcher 3
I enjoyed as much as Witcher 3, also I think it's a lot more difficult especially the first bosses like the Kayran and Letho. Bosses are a lot more difficult imho.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 6 July 2021 at 9:53 pm UTC
Pangaea Jul 8, 2021
Quoting: The_Aquabat
Quoting: PangaeaI didn't enjoy the game as much as Witcher 1 or Witcher 3
I enjoyed as much as Witcher 3, also I think it's a lot more difficult especially the first bosses like the Kayran and Letho. Bosses are a lot more difficult imho.
Yeah, that's a fair point. I recall struggling a lot with those bosses. And of course hated all those blasted QTEs!! Thank goodness they didn't make that mistake for TW3.

All Witcher games has the problem that you eventually get madly overpowered, though. Less so in the first one really, and oddly enough the "problem" is arguably worst in TW3.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.