You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Lineage 2 on Linux
ptrouton92 Jul 20, 2021
I warn you right away, I'm new to this forum, and a recent Linux user (since the forced updates to Windows 10 and the Death of Windows 7) so I apologize if the answers to my question may be obvious. I tried to find a forum thread here that discusses such an old game as Lineage 2, I'm a fan of the old chronicles of the "High Five" times, but since I switched to Linux, I can't figure out how to play this game on this system. I've tried Wine but it doesn't want to work with this game. Maybe someone knows the alternatives?
serge Jul 20, 2021
Hello,

Here are the result from WINE AppDB if it can help you.

it seems there is no more lutris scripts for this game, lutris is an app using scripts to automate WINE installation.

if you have steam you can also try to add the game as a non steam game and choose a version of proton from properties>compatibility. Steam Play

Basically your only option is WINE.
razing32 Jul 20, 2021
Wondering if proton would fare better
It is valve's offshoot on wine
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/
Kuduzkehpan Jul 21, 2021
You will have strugle with gaming on linux and you will become more and more improved yourself then u will not want to go back Windows.

But i recommend you to dual boot Windows and linux. Until u figured out gaming on linux.

And lineage 2 i have played once more with wine. Look for winecfg settings especially "virtual desktop".

İ will update this post if İam able to run lineage 2.
denyasis Jul 22, 2021
Welcome to Linux! Sorry your first experience is so frustrating. WINE and comparability layers, while amazing, can be on the obscure side.

The appDB above indicates other users have gotten it to run consistently, which is a good sign.

Are you able to install the game ok?
When you run the game in the terminal, do you get any specific errors?

From the AppDB, it looks like you might want to grab DXVK and the Tahoma font. You can use the Winetricks package to install them.

I hope that helps, and good luck!
ptrouton92 Aug 3, 2021
Quoting: sergeHello,

Here are the result from WINE AppDB if it can help you.

it seems there is no more lutris scripts for this game, lutris is an app using scripts to automate WINE installation.

if you have steam you can also try to add the game as a non steam game and choose a version of proton from properties>compatibility. Steam Play

Basically your only option is WINE.
Unfortunately, these chronicles are no longer distributed on Steam, as this is a very old part of the game. More modern Lineage chronicles are launched, judging by the info on the network. But with the chronicles of 2010, it turned out to be a problem
Salvatos Aug 4, 2021
Quoting: ptrouton92Unfortunately, these chronicles are no longer distributed on Steam, as this is a very old part of the game.
You can run any game (or program, really) through Steam as a non-Steam game to easily run it through Proton/Wine, it doesn’t have to be in the Steam store proper.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2219-YDJV-5557&l=english

For example, I have a game that I got from GOG that I run through Steam so I can change the controller bindings, which the game doesn’t handle natively :)
whizse Aug 4, 2021
The problem with Lineage II in general seems to be that the official servers depend on a particularly nasty rootkit called GameGuard which Wine does not support. (That might change in the future though).

But if I understand your initial post, that not a problem for you, since I'm guessing you're using an unofficial server to play an older version?

Which specific version are you trying to run? What errors/problems do you have?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.