Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
I have very low performance in Death Stranding....
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Comandante Ñoñardo Jul 31, 2021
Indeed there was a temp issue due to dust in the CPU dissipator and dry thermal paste...
But the main low FPS problem persist..
And it seems that most of the available RAM is used.

furaxhornyx Jul 31, 2021
Quoting: Comandante ÑoñardoIndeed there was a temp issue due to dust in the CPU dissipator and dry thermal paste...
But the main low FPS problem persist..
And it seems that most of the available RAM is used.

Is your CPU still a 4960K ? (I am asking, because you PC info mention a GTX 970 and not a GTX 2060 Super, so maybe you upgraded in between)

I know I had a lot of trouble getting Valheim and some other open world games on my old 4790K, so maybe the same applies here ?
Spl-it mentioned it worked well, but it is on a Ryzen 3600X, much more recent, that's why I am suggesting this.
Comandante Ñoñardo Jul 31, 2021
I did more further testings:

I moved all the discs to another machine with a similar hardware but instead of a core i5 4690K, I have a core i7 4790K in that machine (and Windows 10)...
I disabled the hyper threading of the i7 for to "emulate" the i5... and the performance was the same as with the i5..

After that, I played the game on that i7 machine, but this time using Windows 10 with the quality presets on very high (again with the hyper threading of the i7 disabled for to "emulate" the i5)

Super solid 60 FPS with about the half of the system memory used...
Something must be wrong with VKD3D

furaxhornyx Aug 1, 2021
Quoting: Comandante ÑoñardoI did more further testings:

I moved all the discs to another machine with a similar hardware but instead of a core i5 4690K, I have a core i7 4790K in that machine (and Windows 10)...
I disabled the hyper threading of the i7 for to "emulate" the i5... and the performance was the same as with the i5..

After that, I played the game on that i7 machine, but this time using Windows 10 with the quality presets on very high (again with the hyper threading of the i7 disabled for to "emulate" the i5)

Super solid 60 FPS with about the half of the system memory used...
Something must be wrong with VKD3D

Just in case: you only have 1 monitor, right ?
rojimboo Aug 1, 2021
There's apparently a memory leak with Nvidia 470 drivers and DX12 games.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/oorj90/apparent_memory_leak_in_dx12_games_with_nvidia/

and there's a nvidia bug report link within.

THat's why your RAM usage is at 15gb/16gb and more, and you're probably hitting swap too.

Try downgrading your Nvidia drivers, or try the Vulkan beta ones (455 series) maybe.
Thetargos Sep 5, 2021
Quoting: rojimbooThere's apparently a memory leak with Nvidia 470 drivers and DX12 games.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/oorj90/apparent_memory_leak_in_dx12_games_with_nvidia/

and there's a nvidia bug report link within.

THat's why your RAM usage is at 15gb/16gb and more, and you're probably hitting swap too.

Try downgrading your Nvidia drivers, or try the Vulkan beta ones (455 series) maybe.
Thanks for the references!

Rather than starting a new thread (I know, I come almost a year late to DS), I wanted to add to this because I did notice that it does indeed has a major memory leak (apparently).

On my system I have 48 GiB of RAM, and for an hour and 40 minutes of it, the RAM usage of the game was well over 16 GiB (over 24 GiB total memory use, with at least 3 spent for apps like Discord, FF and Steam running in the background, and most likely almost 2 for OS and at least another 10 used for cache), though one thing I DID notice was even though the game is installed on a rather slow external HDD due to space constraints, loading times (besides initial load) were rather fast, and I noticed low disk IO during (my limited) gameplay.

My system has not changed from the details you see in my profile, but to summarize:

• Kernel: 5.13.13

• RAM: 48 GiB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengaence

• 20 GiB Swap: two swap partitions one 16 GiB and one 4 GiB that I use for hybernation testing.

• GFX: nVidia GTX 1080 non-TI, ASUS Strix OC using driver version 470.63.01

• CPU: R9 3900XT

• MoBo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite

Last edited by Thetargos on 5 September 2021 at 1:19 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.