Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
AMD Ryzen and RX 6600 XT suspend problem
_J_30000 Sep 5, 2021
Hi all,

I have a AMD Ryzen, Asus Strix B550 board and have recently changed from a Nvidia 1650 to an AMD Radeon 6600 XT graphics card. With the nvidia card suspend worked perfectly now that I have the Radeon installed I cannot get it to work anymore.

When trying to suspend the computer tries to do something and then I am faced with a fresh login screen...

Had to install mainline 5.13 and 5.14 add the firmware and then use Oibaf PPA Mesa to get the system to work

tried looking into various logs but cannot see anything except "no suspend buffer for PTM"

also does anyone have an idea if / when Ubuntu or Pop will provide a kernel based on 5.13 or newer for 21.04 ?

thanks
tuxintuxedo Sep 5, 2021
Ubuntu 21.04 will never get a newer kernel, it will only have support for 9 months. Ubuntu 21.10 will have the 5.13 kernel (with a low chance of an even newer kernel). For now you can only wait and/or submit a bug report about this if there isn't one already.
_J_30000 Sep 6, 2021
Ok, I guess I will need to wait then as running the unpatched mainline will probably not get support....
_J_30000 Sep 26, 2021
Update just downloaded Impish Beta (21.10) and worked like a charm.

That had Kernel 5.13.0.16 and Mesa 21.2.1

Pop Os 21.04 is also on 5.13 now and I installed Mesa 21.2.1 (kesa)

but still no dice with suspend, it does not suspend kicks me out to a log on screen

*Could it be gdm 3 38 on Pop 21.04 v gdm3 41~rc-0ubuntu1 ?

Where should I look, any ideas or logs you all can think of? ?

Last edited by _J_30000 on 26 September 2021 at 5:02 pm UTC
_J_30000 Oct 10, 2021
I ended up installing Impish

Pros:
Suspend works
Bluetooth speaker connects automatically (needed manual intervention on Pop)

Cons:
Missing the clever bits of COSMIC shell (like super key and then type in formula to calculate)
Back to grub
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.