You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
(Poll) Steam Deck
Page: 1/4»
  Go to:
Poll results: Have you pre ordered a Steam Deck ?
Yes?

54 vote(s)
50%
No?

46 vote(s)
42%
On the fence?

9 vote(s)
8%
pete910 Oct 31, 2021
Own up, Who's pre ordered a steam deck

Personally haven't as I just don't think I'd use it.
denyasis Oct 31, 2021
I'm a no. I can't afford it and if I had the money, I'd save up a extra for a proper laptop.
Shmerl Oct 31, 2021
Not yet, but I'll probably buy one once it ships and more reviews will come out.

Handheld Linux console is a cool idea. Though I'd focus on GOG games on it.

Last edited by Shmerl on 31 October 2021 at 8:25 pm UTC
damarrin Oct 31, 2021
I’ll use it so much. Just last year I was thinking about a diminutive portable Linux device and now here it is! I’m excited like I haven’t been since I was 7 just before Christmas.
Xpander Nov 1, 2021
Not getting and wont be planning. If i want to play games, its on my desktop PC with keyboard+mouse or my wheel. Never really been fan of controllers, handheld devices or consoles.
I hope it's sells successfully though.

Last edited by Xpander on 1 November 2021 at 1:50 am UTC
Alm888 Nov 1, 2021
No. I don't even have a Steam account, besides, I'm not given the oportunity -- it is not available in my country and likely will never be (none of the previous Valve's products were).

But why should I? I have a desktop PC and all my daily trips are either on foot or involve riding a bike. No need for handheld consoles.

Last edited by Alm888 on 1 November 2021 at 11:05 pm UTC
eldaking Nov 1, 2021
First: no one has "pre-ordered", people have placed a reservation. :P

Technicalities aside, no. I would like a Deck, it's probably the first gaming console I'm interested in since the Game Boy Advance, but it's not an option in many ways.

It is not available in my region, so I don't even have the option. But even if I did, this is a huge expense for my standards; I don't tend to use the latest and greatest hardware, I use my devices until they fall apart (sometimes even longer :P ) and getting a new phone or laptop requires careful consideration. I wouldn't buy in to a new device before it is even out, even if I happened to have the money now. And, well, I don't have the money now. xD Certainly doesn't help that exchange rates have skyrocketed recently.

I'll probably try to replace my very old computer and phone before I even start thinking about buying a much more superfluous device like a gaming handheld.
pete910 Nov 1, 2021
Quoting: eldakingFirst: no one has "pre-ordered", people have placed a reservation. :P

So pre order then

Quoting: eldakingBut even if I did, this is a huge expense for my standards

Unfortunately this entire hobby is going beyond a lot of peoples means. The prices are just nuts!
GustyGhost Nov 2, 2021
I won't be getting one, not because of any criticism of the design or freedom vs non-freedom, but because I've never really been into mobile gaming. Gaming just isn't important enough to me to have on the go.
Arehandoro Nov 2, 2021
I did place a reservation, and now I'm having mine. Reservations, that is. Don't want to jump in too quickly, and also, I already own a Nintendo Switch, which I love for 1st party Nintendo games, so if I get the Deck its use will have to compete with the Switch. And, honestly, I don't have the time for that. Even if after a post-pandemic world I was to start travelling more often, probably one would suffice. And the price is also something I can't really afford right now without a lot of other compromises. So, yeah, probably I'll pull back from actually pre-ordering for now.
eldaking Nov 2, 2021
Quoting: pete910
Quoting: eldakingBut even if I did, this is a huge expense for my standards

Unfortunately this entire hobby is going beyond a lot of peoples means. The prices are just nuts!

Back in the days of the Moore Law, we just had to wait for a few years and the cutting edge got cheap. These days that is no longer true, but the big companies still want everything to go obsolete after a couple of years...

Last edited by eldaking on 2 November 2021 at 10:51 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.