Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Using KDE Plasma Wayland session
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
ripper81358 Jun 25, 2022
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: ShmerlDebian testing finally shipped newer Qt fixing that very annoying bug mentioned above that was breaking KDE Wayland session. Switched to it now and it works smoothly so far :)

Debian sure is slow updating Qt.
how has gaming performance been for you? i've noticed a stark difference between x11 and wayland when fps is low. x11 is very smooth but in wayland it feels like lag. i guess latency increase. a lot more sluggish.

I have used Plasma Wayland on Kubuntu for several months now. I did not notice any difference while gaming. I am using an AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT with the latest stable MESA release. My display is running 1080p@144Hz.

The main difference for me is the support for VRR/Freesync. On X11 VRR has only been available for games that can run in exclusive fullscreen mode. On Wayland i can use Freesync for all my games.

Last edited by ripper81358 on 25 June 2022 at 4:31 pm UTC
Shmerl Jun 26, 2022
Quoting: Guesthow has gaming performance been for you? i've noticed a stark difference between x11 and wayland when fps is low. x11 is very smooth but in wayland it feels like lag. i guess latency increase. a lot more sluggish.

No difference for me so far. Wine is using XWayland in this case. I haven't tested with many games though.
Shmerl Jun 26, 2022
I don't think Wayland has a concept of "exclusive fullscreen mode" anymore. It has something called direct scanout though.

It would be also good for Wine to finally upstream the Wayland driver, so it won't need to rely on XWayland anymore.

Last edited by Shmerl on 26 June 2022 at 3:09 pm UTC
Shmerl Jul 3, 2022
Running it for a while. There are a few annoying edge cases like clipboard sync lacking for ssh sessions (useful for remote editors). Same for clipboard sync inside a VM.

I also tried Wine Wayland build for gaming - that doesn't really work yet. Regular Wine in XWayland works fine though.

But other than that, it's pretty good.

Last edited by Shmerl on 3 July 2022 at 6:12 am UTC
pete910 Jul 3, 2022
Quoting: ShmerlSame for clipboard sync inside a VM

Did you enable "Shared clipboard" within the VM ?
Shmerl Jul 3, 2022
Quoting: pete910Did you enable "Shared clipboard" within the VM ?

It's a known bug with vdagent. It doesn't support Wayland in the guest yet.
pete910 Jul 3, 2022
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: pete910Did you enable "Shared clipboard" within the VM ?

It's a known bug with vdagent. It doesn't support Wayland in the guest yet.

furry muff,

Still use X11 myself, Still to many idiosyncrasies with Wayland for me.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.