Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
New 30-day sponsor
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Liam Dawe Mar 18, 2022
We have our first 30-day sponsor, who will have a featured banner above article comments within the next couple days. Patreon supporters can hide any kind of advert / sponsor in your user settings on GOL.
Liam Dawe Mar 22, 2022
Our very first article Sponsor from Patreon is live now for 30 days from Frogsong Studios for their game D-Corp.

Edit: for any future sponsors, I already decided that it will be a little bit smaller.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 22 March 2022 at 5:17 pm UTC
damarrin Mar 23, 2022
That's pretty cool, actually. Not annoying at all and potentially interesting. Plus, you get the monnies (I hope!). I actually unblocked it in my settings. I hope it works out fine for you. :-)
Linas Mar 24, 2022
I was wondering why I was not seeing anything, but apparently the setting is turned off by default. At least I cannot remember turning it off. I also don't mind the banner, and I think it is cool of them to sponsor a Linux gaming site.
Xpander Mar 24, 2022
Hmm i don't see it either. And i don't currently have patreon. bug?
Liam Dawe Mar 24, 2022
Apologies, have made it more robust and it should correctly display now for users not logged in, non-supporters and supporters who don't have hide adverts ticked.
mcphail Mar 24, 2022
Hi Liam

I wish more websites would do this. Curated adverts are a great way to generate some income and can be interesting to readers. This is infinitely better than the default advertising on websites.
Liam Dawe Mar 24, 2022
Quoting: mcphailHi Liam

I wish more websites would do this. Curated adverts are a great way to generate some income and can be interesting to readers. This is infinitely better than the default advertising on websites.
Thanks for the kind words. It's always going to be based on approval first. If I don't like it I won't accept it.
damarrin Mar 24, 2022
I welcome this development, though surely the next step is some company coming by and giving Liam 5 mil for the site so they can turn it into an ad-infested piece of crap.

In case that happens, take the money and run :-)
Liam Dawe Mar 24, 2022
Quoting: damarrinI welcome this development, though surely the next step is some company coming by and giving Liam 5 mil for the site so they can turn it into an ad-infested piece of crap.

In case that happens, take the money and run :-)
It would definitely take a good few zeros to make me part with GOL, and some references to show they actually know their way around Linux for me to even consider it. If I did ever sell, I would want GOL to still operate properly after all I built up with it.
Xpander Mar 24, 2022
Nice, it now shows up nicely! Keep it up. Thats the way to do advertisement and earn some coin from it!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.