Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
RSS feed clampdown - i hate scrapers
Liam Dawe Mar 27, 2022
Unfortunately, I've had to cut out the full text from the RSS feed due to issues with content scrapers. The main news feed is now just the title and lead/tagline, with a link to the article.

However, for those of you at Supporter level ($4+) on Patreon or higher, there's a new feed and you each have a unique code to use to unlock the full feed as a thank you for the continued support.

If you have your account setup correctly with Patreon linked to GOL, it's in the UserCP home. Don't share it, as the code is unique to each of you.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 28 March 2022 at 10:48 am UTC
kokoko3k Mar 28, 2022
Some time ago you pointed the problem to be the the Web site text itself, not the RSS
Is this somehow changed, maybe?
Liam Dawe Mar 28, 2022
Yes, plenty of them as it turns out did scrape the RSS feed.
MayeulC Mar 28, 2022
Ah, I wondered why the GoL RSS feed felt neutered.

Would you mind adding a link to the article inline in the RSS entry?

I am not in a position to pay $4+ per month currently, but I'll look into doing that again when I will be (I used to support on patreon, then liberapay when they increased their fees).

At least spending less time reading GoL should give me more time to finish up my Thesis manuscript, right? ... right?

Last edited by MayeulC on 28 March 2022 at 3:14 pm UTC
Liam Dawe Mar 28, 2022
Quoting: MayeulCWould you mind adding a link to the article inline in the RSS entry?
Is there a reason you need that? Any even remotely modern way of grabbing an RSS should give you a link based on the XML as we supply the link to it.
GustyGhost Mar 28, 2022
:( But it's understandable. On the bright side, you know your site is successful when it's grown big enough to have to moderate the big moving parts.

And that's okay. Maybe I can help peeps out with a Bridge for rss-bridge.

Last edited by GustyGhost on 28 March 2022 at 6:26 pm UTC
MayeulC Mar 31, 2022
Quoting: Liam Dawe
Quoting: MayeulCWould you mind adding a link to the article inline in the RSS entry?
Is there a reason you need that? Any even remotely modern way of grabbing an RSS should give you a link based on the XML as we supply the link to it.

That's true. I mainly use Nextcloud News, and it offers that possibility.

I thought there was a difference with some links being opened inside the client window on Android, but apparently not.

Would you consider adding a cheaper RSS tier? I subscribe to Ars Technica for instance, their feed is at $25/year. Nextinpact (a French outlet) also has it at €25 for those with low revenue (students, jobless).

Edit: I mean, not on patreon, but trough PayPal or something. I guess I could help with the code if necessary and I find some time.

Last edited by MayeulC on 31 March 2022 at 7:43 pm UTC
Liam Dawe Mar 31, 2022
I can definitely look to add an RSS tier but it would again be Patreon only. No rewards are offered outside of it as Patreon handles VAT for me.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.