Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Steam Deck, sideloading a Retro linux distro on SD Card?
Craggles086 Mar 31, 2022
So I have seen some alternatives for running retro games on the Steam Deck. Given the locked down nature of the Steam Deck. Read only status of root distro, etc.

Most of those options seem to mean installing what you need as a FlatPak, but I wondered what was stopping you having an entire Retro / Emulator Linux Distro on the SD Card and chrooting to that.

The only real experience I have had with chroot is when using Arch and playing around with Linux from Scratch, so I am not the most experienced here and wondering if somone else though this was do able? :)

So the other question would be how well this Retro / Emulator distro would work with the Steam Deck hardware and controler / thumbpad. That could be the only negative of doing it this way. Would think that st-controller would make this easy to configure, but do not know how compatible st-controller is with steam deck hardware.

Sorry, just sharing my thoughts here. :)

Last edited by Craggles086 on 31 March 2022 at 2:57 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.