Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
How to force a 32Bit Wineprefix and force an application to run inside the 32bit prefix?
TimeFreeze Mar 31, 2022
I never needed a 32Bit prefix so i dont have an idea how to do all that. Problem is that i need a 32bit one because of a game which wont run under 64bit and just throws an error at me. So can anyone guide me how to do it?
whizse Mar 31, 2022
Usually either something like "WINEARCH=win32 wine foo.exe" or (depending on your Wine install) "wine32 foo.exe".

But you shouldn't need this! A normal Wine install runs both 64 and 32bit.
TimeFreeze Mar 31, 2022
Quoting: whizseUsually either something like "WINEARCH=win32 wine foo.exe" or (depending on your Wine install) "wine32 foo.exe".

But you shouldn't need this! A normal Wine install runs both 64 and 32bit.

Are you sure? Because i tried to run said game just "normal" and i get the same "error" as i got it back on windows as well:

whizse Mar 31, 2022
I guess it's a specific check for that particular game.

Is the game Sacred by any chance? If so try this:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/12320/discussions/0/350543951939472634/#c350544272211913231
TimeFreeze Mar 31, 2022
Quoting: whizseI guess it's a specific check for that particular game.

Is the game Sacred by any chance? If so try this:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/12320/discussions/0/350543951939472634/#c350544272211913231

No its not Sacred. It's a german only game which i got nostalgic for and wanted to play it again but as it turns out the game hates 64bit and i cant seem to get it somehow to run which is frustrating to say the least.
tuxintuxedo Mar 31, 2022
I think you should first clarify whether you use Wine on desktop or Proton in Steam.
Updated:
Normally you type:
WINEPREFIX=/home/me/mywinedirectory WINEARCH=win32 wine wineboot (creates a 32 bit prefix)
WINEPREFIX=/home/me/mywinedirectory WINEARCH=win32 wine 'gameinstaller.exe' (install game into the 32 bit prefix)
WINEPREFIX=/home/me/mywinedirectory WINEARCH=win32 wine 'gamestart.exe' (start game from the 32 bit prefix)

Of course use pathnames and .exe files according to your environment and needs.

Last edited by tuxintuxedo on 31 March 2022 at 6:31 pm UTC
TimeFreeze Mar 31, 2022
Quoting: tuxintuxedoI think you should first clarify whether you use Wine on desktop or Proton in Steam.

If i would use proton i would have said so. So to clarify i mean just plain wine on desktop.
tuxintuxedo Mar 31, 2022
Thanks for the answer. I still had to ask.
Check my suggestion above.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.