Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
may have found an interesting reason why Proton may just be terrible...
slaapliedje May 4, 2022
I have been enjoying Bldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on my Steam Deck. But decided last night to give it a try on my desktop running Debian Sid. Well it says it works with cloud sync, and it even said it synced over the data and was up to date, but my saves were not there...

As I went digging around to see if I could tlrsync them across, I found them, and managed to continue playing... but now I have to manually do this every time...

But then I noticed just now... it is likely due to the Steam Deck installing the Windows version instead of the Native one! They save data in different directories...

I wonder why they would have done this. I don't see a way to switch back either, as it seems usually you use native or force compatibility to Proton, but that is unchecked.
damarrin May 4, 2022
On desktop, to switch to native, you need to check that and select steam runtime.
slaapliedje May 4, 2022
Quoting: damarrinOn desktop, to switch to native, you need to check that and select steam runtime.
Thanks, did that very thing on the Deck to force BG:DA to use the native version and the cloud save worked.
GustyGhost May 4, 2022
Does Deck really default to Windows translation even when there are native builds available? The biggest name in the industry basically capitulating to microsoft.
slaapliedje May 4, 2022
Quoting: GustyGhostDoes Deck really default to Windows translation even when there are native builds available? The biggest name in the industry basically capitulating to microsoft.
Yeah, that threw me off.

But think from this perspective. If there is indeed a case where Cloud Saves only work with the like-install. It makes more sense that they'd think people would be playing on Windows on their computers, and so it would make sense to install the Windows version on the Deck.

Then again, it makes more sense to create a symlink, so that it wouldn't matter... Trying to decide if this is an issue with the developer, or should be reported to Valve. I'm thinking the latter.

Wonder if Liam has ran into this.
Liam Dawe May 4, 2022
We've covered this and the reasoning in articles before. They pick what will work the best for the majority with all Steam features for the Deck.
slaapliedje May 4, 2022
Quoting: Liam DaweWe've covered this and the reasoning in articles before. They pick what will work the best for the majority with all Steam features for the Deck.
The 'this is why we run it on X', yes. Has it been covered that it breaks Cloud Sync?
Liam Dawe May 4, 2022
Quoting: slaapliedje
Quoting: Liam DaweWe've covered this and the reasoning in articles before. They pick what will work the best for the majority with all Steam features for the Deck.
The 'this is why we run it on X', yes. Has it been covered that it breaks Cloud Sync?
That would be down to the developer for various reasons like not putting in the correct folders, different filenames etc for their save systems. That's generally why Valve picks Proton as it will work for the ~95% that use Windows and then using a Deck. We hardly matter and I get it.
slaapliedje May 4, 2022
Quoting: Liam Dawe
Quoting: slaapliedje
That would be down to the developer for various reasons like not putting in the correct folders, different filenames etc for their save systems. That's generally why Valve picks Proton as it will work for the ~95% that use Windows and then using a Deck. We hardly matter and I get it.
Yeah, that is the conclusion I came to as well. Sounds like something they could fix with a symlink though. Like link the compatdata folder with the .local/share/$gamename/ so they both get a sync.
Liam Dawe May 5, 2022
Well if you want it to improve, bug the developer. It should never be a problem, it's 100% always the fault of the game developer. It's one in the long list of reasons why so many people nowadays just prefer Proton, because the Native Linux builds sadly always get far far less attention and effort even on simple issues.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.