You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Weekend Play List 6/10/22
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
itscalledreality Jun 10, 2022
o/

“Another week gone by…” you think to yourself as you glance at the clock on Friday afternoon. It’s almost the weekend if you can only make it a few more hours. But how will you spend your weekend?!

Then from the corner of the internet comes a call. Hark! It’s the weekly GoL Community activities thread, surely some fine folks will spill a few gems for you to pore over in your search for escape.

Rules: Share whatever you’re doing this weekend/week. Can be real or virtual activities and gaming.

———

This week I took a long look at the games I’ve been playing and noticed I have an awful lot of shooty games.

I have been playing Supraland and beat the main campaign. It’s mostly a nice light hearted adventure, however even Supraland has a gun.

Looking down the list of what I have installed there wasn’t much. I could play Life is Strange, but again a game that has a gun in it (even if you don’t use it).

Okay, okay I give up. I guess I’ll finally start Max Payne 2. Should be an easy check mark off the list.

I finished Hotline Miami with some quick play-throughs this week. Very enjoyable game but doesn’t solve my gun problem.

Otherwise I’ll be enjoying the sunshine and park as well as attending a bbq.

Last edited by itscalledreality on 10 June 2022 at 4:19 pm UTC
Liam Dawe Jun 10, 2022
Grim Dawn.

Suckered into it right now on Steam Deck, seems like a great ARPG.
itscalledreality Jun 10, 2022
Quoting: Liam DaweGrim Dawn.

Suckered into it right now on Steam Deck, seems like a great ARPG.

NGL this game looks like a lot of fun and right up my alley. I would totally pounce if I didn’t already have like 10 under-played or never-played RPGs.
Pengling Jun 10, 2022
This weekend, it'll be a bunch of Jazz Jackrabbit CD!

Tux approves of Jazz on Linux.

It's my first time replaying it since around 2007, and I'm currently up to Episode 5, "The Chase Is On".

I also hope to spend a bit of time curating games that are suitable for my GPD MicroPC, which is an Intel Celeron N4120 palmtop with a clicky thumb-keyboard (one of those ones that use a metal film beneath the keys like an old mobile-phone keypad, instead of a rubber membrane). It's generally my experimental machine, but I do use it for some gaming with slow-paced games that are friendly towards the tiny clicky thumb-keyboard, teeny-tiny trackpad, and Post-It Note sized screen. It's pretty capable for its size, and, sure, I could plug in a joypad, but any joypad you could use is bigger than the entire machine, so I want to focus on stuff that works well with what's built-in. I did this for my Anbernic RG351MP last week and it turned out to be a lot of fun, so I'm looking forward to this if I have the time.
Liam Dawe Jun 10, 2022
Actually, I'm also spending plenty of time with the HP Dev One for an upcoming review too ;)
Pengling Jun 10, 2022
Quoting: Liam DaweActually, I'm also spending plenty of time with the HP Dev One for an upcoming review too ;)
Looking forward to that - always delighted to see more Linux laptop options out there!
denyasis Jun 10, 2022
Well, I'm going to be doing Dominions 5. I've decided I want to try multiplayer, but I'm really bad, so I want a little practice before I dive in. I'll probably do multiplayer in July as I'm traveling the last week of June and turn availability would be an issue.

Ps, loved Jazz Jackrabbit as a kid. The first more than the second, lol. Add Tyrian and One Must Fall and you got my arcade gaming childhood!

Last edited by denyasis on 11 June 2022 at 2:46 am UTC
Pengling Jun 11, 2022
Quoting: denyasisPs, loved Jazz Jackrabbit as a kid. The first more than the second, lol.
I loved both, but played the second more than the first (the multi-player mode was great, and online-play worked so well even over 30k-ish dial-up), so I'm sort of trying to make up for that by giving some more time to the original again now.
robvv Jun 11, 2022
Been playing Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition recently after picking it up at a very good discount. Around 25 hours into it and am mostly enjoying the gameplay, though it has taken some getting used to as DA:I is much more open-world. In DA:O you can easily miss quests which you then cannot get back to.
There's some nasty memory leaks in the game as detailed on the ProtonDB entries. I tried applying the '4Gb' patch but Steam wouldn't launch the executable (error 3...) when it was patched. Got around one bug by using Proton 7.0-2 rather than Proton Experimental.
denyasis Jun 11, 2022
Quoting: Pengling
Quoting: denyasisPs, loved Jazz Jackrabbit as a kid. The first more than the second, lol.
I loved both, but played the second more than the first (the multi-player mode was great, and online-play worked so well even over 30k-ish dial-up), so I'm sort of trying to make up for that by giving some more time to the original again now.

I do fondly remember the multiplayer. My sibling and I did it local since it let you do two player on the same keyboard (we were on 14.4k back then). I ironicly remember arguing over the left controls (wasd), because both of us preferred the numpad for control, lol.

Epic and Co. got so much of our business thanks to those shareware games 😂.
Pengling Jun 11, 2022
Quoting: denyasisI do fondly remember the multiplayer. My sibling and I did it local since it let you do two player on the same keyboard (we were on 14.4k back then).
I'm guessing that, like me, you never got to try out LAN play either? I really wish I could've.

Quoting: denyasisI ironicly remember arguing over the left controls (wasd), because both of us preferred the numpad for control, lol.
I actually bought a Gravis GamePad because of Jazz 1, so I used that.

Quoting: denyasisEpic and Co. got so much of our business thanks to those shareware games 😂.
I must admit, I do miss that iteration of Epic!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.