Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Weekend Play List 6/18/22 (Late)
itscalledreality Jun 18, 2022
Rules: Share what games and activities you’ll be up to this weekend; You never know what interests you may share or discover.

I had a long Friday and not one nearly as bad as Bob Hoskins’ (1942-2014) Harold Shand in The Long Good Friday. It was more of a PTO from work thing.

Anyways I’ve been itching to play some Final Fantasy IX. Considered one of the greats, and I realized I’ve never beat a Final Fantasy game. It only renders in 1920x1080p so I’ve decided to respect that. I’ve never minded letterboxing and obviously avoid it if I can but sometimes it creates this comfy-halo-effect akin to a theater or basement with tv.

Also have been enjoying Ultimate Chicken Horse, Magicka 2, and EDF 5 with friends and started Resident Evil.

I finished Max Payne 2 and loved the level design and pacing. Some parts are dated but it works overall.

I started playing Max Payne 3 and it is definitely IP abuse by Rockstar. While the game dearly attempts to lovingly capture aspects of the Max Payne series it seems to so far be missing all of the best parts. There are parts of the game that are pure cut scene, then walk 100 steps and cut scene. Down a hallway with no explicit interesting scenery. It is less a Max Payne game and more of a Rockstar testbed playground for their other franchises. The story is itself is more of a Michael Mann movie than a Max Payne story. I’m not even sure I follow the logic or reasoning of it all it’s so drowned in small set pieces and cut scenes. The noire is there but it’s constant. It feels very plastically and packaged set of parts, think of a 2:1 deal of shampoo and conditioner but it’s two different brands plastic wrapped together by the local store owner. I hope it gets better.

Also completed Puzzle Agent 2 finally after years. I love it but that series is obviously never coming back.

Going to the Mermaid Parade in Coney Island and a Zinefest later.

Last edited by itscalledreality on 18 June 2022 at 4:22 pm UTC
Pengling Jun 18, 2022
Same as last week, I'll be playing more of Jazz Jackrabbit this week.

I've also got a handful of old PC CD-ROM releases for Microsoft Windows to mess around with just for the hell of it, just to see how I get on with making them work on a modern-day Linux system.
Liam Dawe Jun 18, 2022
Trying out The Cycle now it’s on Steam, runs well on Desktop but gotta test it on Deck yet. Seems they enabled BattlEye.
denyasis Jun 18, 2022
I'm digging a hole this week for a tall post, about 5m. Just finished digging this morning. I'll set rebar and pour concrete tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be less windy tomorrow. Probably won't get to play anything this weekend.

On the plus side I start my guaranteed vacation. So I'll have 2 weeks off. I'm traveling and away from my PC, which limits gaming, but it'll be nice to sleep in and do some other activities with the kids.
Anza Jun 18, 2022
I have been continuing to play lot of demos that are available during the Steam Next Fest. Maybe some catching up with Star Wars on the side. And maybe some odds and ends on Netflix like The Umbrella Academy.
itscalledreality Jun 20, 2022
Quoting: AnzaI have been continuing to play lot of demos that are available during the Steam Next Fest. Maybe some catching up with Star Wars on the side. And maybe some odds and ends on Netflix like The Umbrella Academy.

Which demos did you play? I was really fond of Dan the Diver and Old Skies.
Anza Jun 20, 2022
Quoting: itscalledreality
Quoting: AnzaI have been continuing to play lot of demos that are available during the Steam Next Fest. Maybe some catching up with Star Wars on the side. And maybe some odds and ends on Netflix like The Umbrella Academy.

Which demos did you play? I was really fond of Dan the Diver and Old Skies.

I played actually lot of demos, I documented them here.

Old Skies is familiar, I actually played it bit more today. It's quite different to Justin Wack and Big Time Hack, which is also time travel adventure. It's nice to see game that takes time travel at least bit more seriously and it 's step up in Wadjet Eye games as far as budget goes.

Dave the Diver I missed completely, but looks like I might like it.

I also played Potion Permit and it's wishlist material. Similar to Stardew Valley, but few first missions draw you in you in better. And it's less clunky than Graveyard Keeper.

Could mention few more.

Terra Nil is nice simulation about restoring nature.

Astro Colony is space station builder with automation. All in first person perspective so it looks bit more like Satisfactory than Factorio.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.