Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Install GOG Windows Games on Steam Deck
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Dark574 Jun 28, 2022
Hi there,

i am installing some Windows Games i bought from GOG on my Steam Deck. I do this by Desktop Mode and adding the installers through steam foreign game and setting proton. This works great so far...
The only problem i have is with addons for games e.g. i try to install Kingdom - Two Crowns, i have two executables, one for the main game and one for an addon

setup_kingdom_two_crowns_1.1.16_r17150_(55285).exe
setup_kingdom_two_crowns_norse_lands_1.1.16_r17150_(55285).exe

Installing the game is no problem, but when i try to install the addon it says it cannot find the main game. As far as i understand the problem is that Proton sets for each install a seperate prefix, so the addon cannot see the prefix of the main game

Is there some command line command or anything else i can use to install addons to the already existing game?

Last edited by Dark574 on 28 June 2022 at 11:00 am UTC
Lamdarer Jul 1, 2022
Not sure but maybe you would have more luck using Mini-Galaxy or the Heroic Games launcher?
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/05/heroic-games-launcher-gets-more-steam-deck-and-flatpak-improvements/
damarrin Jul 1, 2022
Yeah, a launcher like Heroic will let you easily run an exe in an already existing wine prefix.
Shmerl Jul 1, 2022
I have a question, how can you use Steam Deck controllers for GOG games without Steam?
damarrin Jul 2, 2022
Maybe wait for GOG to release their GOG Deck, it should be sorted there.
Shmerl Jul 3, 2022
I doubt GOG will write any support for hardware like that. Having open source drivers for controllers is the right way to do it.
Lamdarer Jul 3, 2022
Quoting: ShmerlI have a question, how can you use Steam Deck controllers for GOG games without Steam?
You should add GOG as a non-Steam game to Steam, than you can use the controls.
Shmerl Jul 3, 2022
Quoting: Lamdarer
Quoting: ShmerlI have a question, how can you use Steam Deck controllers for GOG games without Steam?
You should add GOG as a non-Steam game to Steam, than you can use the controls.

Yeah, that's sort of a cheating way. I'm interested in open source support for the hardware.

Last edited by Shmerl on 3 July 2022 at 4:14 pm UTC
TamaraHeinrich Jul 13, 2022
I'm honestly not sure. I believe you must wait. Do you need help finishing your projects and assignments? And you want to do my dissertation UK. So You can use the post as a resource by going to the website I provided.

Last edited by TamaraHeinrich on 5 October 2022 at 7:24 am UTC
Dark574 Jul 13, 2022
Hi,

yes i solved the problem.
The Prefix is set in the steam property settings of the game -> Shortcut -> Start In
this needs to be the same for the dlc as for the main game
NoiramSang Aug 20, 2022

A bit late to answer, but if you or anyone else wants a closest-thing answer, your best bet would be to contact the sc-controller people, to see if they are intending to add support. They made an open-source alternative to use Valve's old Steam Controller without Steam, and by all appearances, the Steam Deck's controls are simply an enhanced version of the same technology.

https://github.com/kozec/sc-controller

Having said that, using the device without Steam would currently result in lost functionality beyond the controls. Presuming you did not replace the OS, and did not use root, you would need to replace the virtual keyboard with something like the CoreKeyboard flatpak, and you would lose all advanced controls related to reducing power consumption and fan control. You may be able to access those settings without Steam, but I never tried, so I am uncertain of what the commands would be.

I would discourage using the root heavily on the default SteamOS, because of how it handles root and updating. Any changes you make may break.

If, on the other hand, you entirely replaced the OS, I would strongly encourage using something like holoiso, an effective fork of SteamOS. This is mainly because using a normal Linux distro will result in a kernel that is not 100% compatible with the Steam Deck, and even if it were, it might not be in the future, with you not having access to any changes made optimizing the hardware.

Edit:
Here is what you are asking for, I believe. Using the controls without Steam is partially viable now.

https://github.com/kozec/sc-controller/issues/665#issuecomment-1161304624

Also, because the Steam Deck expects a Steam account to start the device, an additonal link that you might be interested in, if your intention would be to avoid Steam entirely.

https://old.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/wnzrar/bypass_internet_connection_and_mandatory_update/

Last edited by NoiramSang on 20 August 2022 at 4:37 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.