Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Weekend Play List 7/1/22
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
itscalledreality Jul 1, 2022
The Summer Sun sears your skin. This never happened when you stayed inside as you long for the wintery days that kept you close to your glowing monitor. Soon you’ll return to your hole to soothe your burns with a cool salve; wishful thinking leads you to believe that maybe you can squeeze out 30 minutes of game time if you’re not exhausted (you are).

Rules: share what games you’re playing, what non-gaming activities you’re entertaining this upcoming week.
———

I will be gone this week for a long needed vacation. I hope to get some sun searing but not too much. However I’ll be in Portland and Seattle so sunshine is a gamble.

I’ve managed to close-in on the last few levels of Max Payne where indeed maximum pain has been inflicted through a difficulty spike. I found myself finally “feeling” like Max Payne in a series of hallways with BS enemy AI. However I still stand by my original critique. There just isn’t enough classic Max Payne style in the game. What Rockstar didn’t realize is that Max Payne series is a rouguelike. The third entry kind of emulate this with set pieces but lacks enemy placement and relies on cover mechanics too much. I had to remember I have a leap ability that slows time because cover is so much easier. I think overall it’s a 5/10 Max Payne experience, 8/10 action game. I’ll have to finish it whence I return.

I’m looking forward to checking out the Pinball Museum in Seattle! Maybe seeing some whales.

Last edited by itscalledreality on 15 July 2022 at 7:26 pm UTC
denyasis Jul 1, 2022
I must say, I'm highly enjoying these posts, especially the intro. Our local radio station has an almanac segment and the intro reminds me of it.

Non gaming: Went "Mountain Biking" (I live in a river valley in a plain; Mountains these are not). Still fun. Doing a party later and then some fence and concrete inspection/repair (side note, Quickcrete Red is garbage)

Gaming: going to continue to do Dominions 5 and maybe Dead Cells. Still debating to buy it for Linux or Switch. Leaning towards Linux, ATM.

Ps, hope you like Seattle/Portland. Seems really nice.

Last edited by denyasis on 1 July 2022 at 6:47 pm UTC
Pengling Jul 1, 2022
After the excellent recent news that the 64-player mode from the soon-to-end free-to-play Super Bomberman R Online will be rolled into Super Bomberman R 2 as one of the upcoming sequel's online modes, I've gotten back into Super Bomberman R Online and will definitely be playing that over the weekend - I don't want to get rusty! (Not a weekend thing, but I also finished Bomberman '94 and Wario Blast Featuring Bomberman! during the week. My current Bomberman phase continues unabated. )

Other than that, since I finished Jazz Jackrabbit CD and Jazz Jackrabbit Holiday Hare 1995 last weekend, I'll probably be revisiting Donkey Kong Country (courtesy of RetroPie, which I highly recommend building for desktop use, in spite of it having a few quirks when you do this) for my next 2D platforming fix.

I'd also like to get around to setting up a 32-bit Windows XP virtual machine for a few very old games I have that either don't play nice with Wine or otherwise don't get along with the slightly oddball display on my GPD Win Max 2021 (the GPD mini-laptops and palmtops have vertical mobile panels that are mounted sideways, so when old games/installers try to change resolutions to ones that it doesn't support it tends to mess up the display, requiring a reboot), but I don't know if I'll do that this weekend or not.

Quoting: itscalledrealityI’m looking forward to checking out the Pinball Museum in Seattle!
Lucky you! This reminds me of how cool it was to see the pinball machines at the Play Expo when I last went - a good chunk of the UK pinball enthusiast community trucks their machines up there for those events, and it really is a sight to behold.

This reminds me that I still haven't set up GOG's Epic Pinball Collection - I need to do that...

Quoting: denyasisI must say, I'm highly enjoying these posts,
Same - this is my favourite weekly thread, and I always look forward to it.
ElamanOpiskelija Jul 2, 2022
I will first of all up my sunlight intake significantly, under the assumption that this is somehow good for your health, and otherwise engage in compulsory social alcohol drinking with strange individuals called "other people", who don't understand how much the world needs me for a much higher purpose.

Once compulsory maintenance tasks are accomplished, I will proceed to my real purpose which is saving the world from Brainiac in Injustice 2.
infernelu Jul 2, 2022
i will work on creating a dedicated external ssd for Batocera linux. Ricing that up and building a 512 gb games catalog will take up all the next few weekends. So emulated games for me this weekend. I already have a raspberry pi 4 with a 128gb card full of games so im not starting from zero.
Pengling Jul 2, 2022
Quoting: inferneluSo emulated games for me this weekend.
D'you have anything in particular in mind?
Mezron Jul 2, 2022
I ended Super Mario 3D World. Bowser's Fury did not interest me. Uninstalled Yuzu.

I have a lot of BBQs this week. One later on today with my mother's side of the family. I have cousins and friends going there and we will be playing some Garou: Mark of the Wolves and Dead or Alive 2 via Redream.

Tomorrow I have another BBQ with my arcade/board game friends. We are doing to be playing Zombies!!!, DC Deckbuilder and GoT Monopoly

Going to a LAN event on Monday right now the only thing everyone is talking about is Xonotic for those that I'm going to catch up with.

Last edited by Mezron on 2 July 2022 at 5:48 pm UTC
denyasis Jul 2, 2022
Quoting: Arcadius-8606Going to a LAN event on Monday right now the only thing everyone is talking about is Xonotic for those that I'm going to catch up with.

I've never actually seen or been to a LAN party. Let us know how it goes! I don't really live in a place with a large enough population to do Linux or even LAN parties, so this is an interesting concept. I can't even imagine having more than a few people in my home, and that's without computers! Lol.

Hope it goes well!
Mezron Jul 3, 2022
Quoting: denyasisI've never actually seen or been to a LAN party. Let us know how it goes! I don't really live in a place with a large enough population to do Linux or even LAN parties, so this is an interesting concept. I can't even imagine having more than a few people in my home, and that's without computers! Lol.

Hope it goes well!

They are a real treat. I've been playing with the same LAN crew since 1997. We get together often usually 1x a month. LAN are still alive in NYC, NJ and PA. I've found some in FL and CA also.

Usually it's a mix of locals (fighting games) and LAN (various FPS/RTS) matches.
Pengling Jul 3, 2022
It's been a successful weekend's gaming!

I got a few more Bomber One wins in Super Bomberman R Online...

... completed Donkey Kong Country...

... And made a start on Super Bomberman 3.

I briefly played Super Bomberman 1 and 2, as well, but quickly abandoned the playthrough idea because it's hard to go back to the pre-1994 entries since the improvements from Bomberman '94 (PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16) and Super Bomberman 3 (SNES) made such a fundamental and positive difference to how the games play, which has lasted all the way up to the present-day titles.
infernelu Jul 5, 2022
Quoting: Pengling
Quoting: inferneluSo emulated games for me this weekend.
D'you have anything in particular in mind?
Sorry for late reply. I played a lot of Beyond Good & Evil on Dolphin emulator.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.