Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Pluton already Causing Issues
PublicNuisance Jul 11, 2022
Well it's not shocking but still sad to see: Pluton is keeping certain laptops from running Linux. I knew that having a security chip from the likes of Microsoft was going to be a bad thing but didn't think it would cause issues so soon. This should make it clear to people: plan an escape from x86. Power9 and RISC-V are good options. if you have to be on x86 try too use a Libreboot or even a Coreboot machine. Don't give your money to support this garbage if you care about privacy; security or user freedom.

https://www.neowin.net/news/lenovo-thinkpad-ryzen-6000-laptops-with-microsoft-pluton-refuse-to-run-linux-by-default/
GustyGhost Jul 13, 2022
I have a more bleak perspective on the matter. Most people will continue to place entertainment and convenience well above any principles. The industry is going to exploit this to continue introducing these computer-in-a-computer controls until they've achieved migrating everyone fully to being a renter in their own devices.
mr-victory Jul 13, 2022
AFAIK this is not new stuff. You had to disable Secure (!) Boot before to boot Linux and you still have to disable Secure boot. Or instead of disabling, you had to roll out your own keys but that's an annoyance few attempt to go through.

The situation is not like "the PC can boot Windows and only Windows with no alternatives" like the 32 bit Arm Surface things.
And if it was like that they would be Windows books.
PublicNuisance Jul 19, 2022
Quoting: GustyGhostI have a more bleak perspective on the matter. Most people will continue to place entertainment and convenience well above any principles. The industry is going to exploit this to continue introducing these computer-in-a-computer controls until they've achieved migrating everyone fully to being a renter in their own devices.

I totally agree. Look at what gamers have already been willing to sacrifice. They've been boiling like frogs as things get worse and worse. If you try to point it out your either called crazy or told it doesn't matter.

Quoting: mr-victoryAFAIK this is not new stuff. You had to disable Secure (!) Boot before to boot Linux and you still have to disable Secure boot. Or instead of disabling, you had to roll out your own keys but that's an annoyance few attempt to go through.

The situation is not like "the PC can boot Windows and only Windows with no alternatives" like the 32 bit Arm Surface things.
And if it was like that they would be Windows books.

I look at it like EEE. Step one is to make people go through workarounds. Step 2 will be taking the workarounds away and suggesting they run Windows with the Linux subsystem. Step 3 will be to take away the subsystem and say just run Windows. Think about it, would it really shock anyone if Microsoft did that ?
GustyGhost Jul 19, 2022
Quoting: PublicNuisanceI totally agree. Look at what gamers have already been willing to sacrifice. They've been boiling like frogs as things get worse and worse. If you try to point it out your either called crazy or told it doesn't matter.

To expand on that point, we have to respect that it isn't necessarily the same exact group of people being boiled, but that new (naive) gamers enter the scene each day. It's weird to think that there are kids starting out building there first computers today where it is now "normal" for to firmware and CPUs to treat the owner as an adversary to be contained.

QuoteI look at it like EEE. Step one is to make people go through workarounds. Step 2 will be taking the workarounds away and suggesting they run Windows with the Linux subsystem. Step 3 will be to take away the subsystem and say just run Windows. Think about it, would it really shock anyone if Microsoft did that ?

I have some semi-technically literate friends who already see things that way: "now I can run it on Windows subsystem **so I don't have to** install a proper Linux system". More likely MS will keep the subsystem in place while they gradually transform Windows itself into a UNIX-like. And once they arrive at full UNIXification, the layperson will cheer how wonderful and brilliant Microsoft is for "inventing" these great new features and standards.
mr-victory Jul 19, 2022
Quoting: PublicNuisanceStep 2 will be taking the workarounds away
Yes I would be shocked and there would be a serious backslash. MS would have to take a step back in my opinion.
mr-victory Jul 19, 2022
Quoting: GustyGhostwhile they gradually transform Windows itself into a UNIX-like
While possible, doing that while maintaining backwards compatibility seems difficult to me, they tried something similar with WSL1 but they couldn't figure it out and moved to a virtualisation based approach with WSL2.
Quotenow I can run it on Windows subsystem **so I don't have to** install a proper Linux system
This probably refers to a specific group of power users which may be a minority compared to Linux (on bare metal) users. AFAIK "thank god I am sick of Windows but I can get my job done with WSL during work, home is already Linux only" is more common.

Last edited by mr-victory on 19 July 2022 at 8:41 pm UTC
Valck Jul 20, 2022
Quoting: mr-victory
Quoting: GustyGhostwhile they gradually transform Windows itself into a UNIX-like
While possible, doing that while maintaining backwards compatibility seems difficult to me, they tried something similar with WSL1 but they couldn't figure it out and moved to a virtualisation based approach with WSL2.
Quotenow I can run it on Windows subsystem **so I don't have to** install a proper Linux system
This probably refers to a specific group of power users which may be a minority compared to Linux (on bare metal) users. AFAIK "thank god I am sick of Windows but I can get my job done with WSL during work, home is already Linux only" is more common.

Way back in the days when I had to use Windows at work (and way before Microsoft loved Linux), there was Cygwin, which AFAICT provided most if not all of what WSL does.
And I can absolutely see the attitude described above, "why even bother installing Linux", oh dear. EEE perfection.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.