Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Add Steam Deck to PC Info (Suggestion)
Arehandoro Jul 15, 2022
Hiya,

It would be nice to have the option of adding the Steam Deck for those that own one in the PC Info section.

P.S: Yes, this is my sneaky way to say I just received mine :D
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
CatKiller Jul 15, 2022
If your main gaming PC (which is what the survey is asking about) is a Steam Deck (or other handheld), you can already set that. I haven't checked whether there are appropriate options for the CPU and GPU, but they should be easy to add if not.
Arehandoro Jul 15, 2022
Quoting: CatKillerIf your main gaming PC (which is what the survey is asking about) is a Steam Deck (or other handheld), you can already set that. I haven't checked whether there are appropriate options for the CPU and GPU, but they should be easy to add if not.

It is not my main gaming PC, and I would imagine, at least for now, it won't be for the majority of people, hence my suggestion :)
Liam Dawe Jul 15, 2022
I think we need some sort of dedicated "do you own a handheld PC" type of section given all the noise around it...will think on how to best do it, thanks.
Pengling Jul 16, 2022
Quoting: Liam Dawewill think on how to best do it, thanks.
I'm looking forward to seeing how this will be implemented. It feels a bit odd to me to have to choose between "Handheld" or "Laptop" in the current setup, because my main gaming PC (GPD Win Max 2021) is technically both.
pete910 Apr 1, 2023
Quoting: Liam DaweI think we need some sort of dedicated "do you own a handheld PC" type of section given all the noise around it...will think on how to best do it, thanks.

Come up of a solution yet?

As I too have one

Although the Mrs keeps pinching as she's on it now
Liam Dawe Apr 5, 2023
Still working on the best way to show it, because I don't want a plain "do you have / are ya gonna buy a steam deck" type of question. It needs to be more open, so it can stick around a long time.

Maybe more of a "Do you have a handheld gaming PC? If so, enter those / tick those that you do" sorta thing, but for that I need to find some free time to even have the survey support multi-answer questions <_<
CatKiller Apr 5, 2023
If you're going through the work of adding secondary devices as well as the main gaming device, it should probably be all secondary devices. So

"Do you also game on another PC?
[] Laptop
[] Desktop
[] HTPC
[] Handheld
        -- which ones?
        [] Deck
        [] Deck 2
        [] Aya Thingy 1
        [] Aya Thingy 2
        [] Asus Thingy"

It should be pretty straightforward then to pull out a "secondary devices" graph that shows the numbers for each. Easy to expand in the future.

According to Valve, 42% of people with a Deck have switched to the Deck being their primary gaming PC and their other gaming PC being the secondary device.

Last edited by CatKiller on 5 April 2023 at 5:20 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.