Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Is there a way to add (and use) new desktop/kde user ?
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
NoiramSang Aug 28, 2022
Just for my information... is this a just-to-do-it thing, or is there a practical reason, such as trying to use SteamOS fully as a desktop OS? My case was very limited: I used two Linux users so that someone else could (almost) fully "test drive" the Steam Deck (Desktop and Gaming mode) before deciding whether or not to purchase one, and I wished to do that without my files being accessed. So I let them borrow it with a separate user and no admin access. Basically, I was after a quick fix.

Just fyi, there are a few limitations to going about it this way, instead of using GNOME Boxes or dual-booting via USB or SD card, if you are after a fully functional desktop OS using Steam Deck hardware. Example: without installing things with root, and the issues that causes, GNOME Boxes can print, but not SteamOS itself. No CUPS.
Brunhylde Aug 29, 2022
Hi,

Well, for my part, originally, It was to give acces to my wife at her full kde desktop like on her main PC, to read email or so, when we are on vacation for exemple and without the laptop. And I didn't like the idea to be stuck with just the "deck" kde account.

At the end we command another Steam Deck for my wife... this little thing is too good (the Steam Deck I mean ! )
NoiramSang Aug 29, 2022
Ahhhh.

Well, I do not think it will work, but you can also try the user switcher widget in KDE, on the off-chance that it does work.
Brunhylde Aug 30, 2022
Hi,

Indeed, the switcher widget don't work. I tried it before your help.
NoiramSang Aug 30, 2022
Hmm...

I will think on it, but, honestly, I do not have a use for multiple Linux users anymore, and I try to limit anything involving root-access to a minimum (to avoid breaking anything), so I am not sure how much time/effort I will put into attempting to automate user switching.
Brunhylde Aug 30, 2022
To my concern, all is good with my little scripts. Furthermore, like you, I prefer changing the less possible to the system.

Thanks again for your help :).
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.