Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Distro Suggestions RaspberryPi 4
sourpuz Aug 3, 2022
Dear forumites,

I dug out my RaspberryPi 4 (4GB) a while ago and played a bit with RaspberryPi OS, which seems to have come along nicely. But I'm not entirely happy with it, examples are the default desktop, the decision to turn off the sudoers password, and some others. Yes, all of these can be changed and tweaked, but I'd love to have a more comfortable experience out of the box. In your opinion and experience, what is the best distro to use the Pi as a small, frugal desktop PC? To do your everyday browsing, some coding and play a few (retro) games?
Pengling Aug 4, 2022
My daily-driver desktop machine is a Raspberry Pi 4, and honestly, my best experience with it has been with Raspberry Pi OS, quirks and all. As you say, it can be tweaked, and that's just what I've done with it.

Now, if there was an official Xubuntu image for it (which is what I use on everything else), I'm sure that I'd feel differently, but when I last checked you were expected to tweak the available Ubuntu image to get that, so this solution ultimately shared issues with Raspberry Pi OS for me, and I ended up going back to that.

I'm sorry that I couldn't suggest better, but I hope that it was worth sharing my experience of it.
sourpuz Aug 4, 2022
Thanks, Pengling! Maybe that is the best way, have you installed XFCE on it? I've come across DietPi, which seems to be a very frugal Debian distro tailored to ARM SBCs. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

Quoting: PenglingMy daily-driver desktop machine is a Raspberry Pi 4, and honestly, my best experience with it has been with Raspberry Pi OS, quirks and all. As you say, it can be tweaked, and that's just what I've done with it.

Now, if there was an official Xubuntu image for it (which is what I use on everything else), I'm sure that I'd feel differently, but when I last checked you were expected to tweak the available Ubuntu image to get that, so this solution ultimately shared issues with Raspberry Pi OS for me, and I ended up going back to that.

I'm sorry that I couldn't suggest better, but I hope that it was worth sharing my experience of it.
Pengling Aug 4, 2022
Quoting: sourpuzThanks, Pengling!
No problem.

Quoting: sourpuzMaybe that is the best way, have you installed XFCE on it?
I haven't yet, as I've found Lxde to be pretty inoffensive to my Xfce sensibilities! That said, I do plan to, since I'd like to have my desktop experience fairly consistent with that of my portables, and my meddling with the official Ubuntu image suggests that Xfce works well on the hardware.

Quoting: sourpuzI've come across DietPi, which seems to be a very frugal Debian distro tailored to ARM SBCs. Maybe I'll give that a shot.
I've only vaguely heard of DietPi, so I'd be very interested to hear about your experiences if you do!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.