Good to get confirmation.
Craggles086 Aug 26, 2022
So the Steam Deck book has been released by Steam, confirming some things that we already knew.

“ Anyway, this is a multi-generational product line. Valve will support Steam Deck and SteamOS well into the foreseeable future. We will learn from the Steam community about new uses for our hardware that we haven’t thought of yet, and we will build new versions to be even more open and capable than the first version of Steam Deck has been.”

Now I have to decide if I wait for Steam Deck number 2.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/25/23322516/valve-steam-deck-long-term-vision-digital-book-ebook-booklet

Last edited by Craggles086 on 26 August 2022 at 3:00 am UTC
Craggles086 Aug 26, 2022
So will Valve ever release a Steam OS 3 for desktop? Or will they just focus on the hardware that they control / can optimise for, (AMD etc) and leave the rest for third parties

Last edited by Craggles086 on 26 August 2022 at 4:34 am UTC
mr-victory Aug 26, 2022
Quoting: Craggles086So will Valve ever release a Steam OS 3 for desktop?
Yes, they will. For some reason I predict the end of this year for SteamOS 3 for the masses.
Linas Aug 27, 2022
Quoting: mr-victory
Quoting: Craggles086So will Valve ever release a Steam OS 3 for desktop?
Yes, they will. For some reason I predict the end of this year for SteamOS 3 for the masses.
I predict that we will see SteamOS for desktop, Steam console with the next generation Steam Controller, and then Steam Deck 2.

Quoting: Craggles086Now I have to decide if I wait for Steam Deck number 2.
My guess is that it will first release at least 3 years from now.
BlackBloodRum Aug 28, 2022
I hope the Deck 2 has an easier to replace battery, it doesn't have to be super easy but at least hopefully not glued in or done in such a way it's more difficult than necessary.

I know it's "not cool" to hope for replaceable batteries any more and companies shouldn't be expected to make adjustments like that, we should support them anyway by getting the new device etc etc etc. I've had that argument a few times where I wanted replaceable batteries.

I like to keep my devices working as long as possible, and keep my batteries in good condition since I have lived through a battery fire before[1] plus it helps reduce e-waste if you repair rather than replace. I know it's a controversial view but nevertheless, one can dream

[1] Fire broke out next to me while I was asleep from my phone while it was charging.. thankfully I woke up from the "poof" sound it made and just grabbed it and got it out the house before it got serious... I don't charge phones when I'm asleep anymore. It was a fun experience though!

Last edited by BlackBloodRum on 28 August 2022 at 12:50 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.