Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Graphic card purchase recomendation
Anorelsan Sep 2, 2022
Hello GOL community,

I have just saw an offer on a shop to buy an amd 6700 10 gb gddr6 (non xt) for 399 €. As you can see in my profile I have and old pc that I want to mantain a little longer (ryzen 7 1800x + 32 gb ram + radeon 290) but I was thinking to upgrade with this card. Do you think it's a good card for (1440 gaming)? Maybe between an 3060 - 3070 from nvidia? (I don't want a nvidia, it's only for comparison).

Thx!
Linas Sep 4, 2022
Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade. My setup is very similar to what you are going for, and I am very happy with it. I play at 1440p 120 hz, and considering that your specs would be a step above mine, I'd say you're good for the nearest future.
Anorelsan Sep 4, 2022
Ohh thanks for the reply :) The 7xxx series is about to get out, so I have decided to wait a little more to see If the prices adjusts a little more. I'm not in a hurry but with your comment I will go for a 6700 (or XT version). Thanks!!!!
pete910 Dec 11, 2022
I see from your specs you went 6800, bet that was a noticeable jump
Anorelsan Dec 11, 2022
Quite noticeable :) I see an offer and I couldn't resist

The only game that crawled on my system was metro exodus and now it's runs flawlessly :) But first I have other games in my ever growing library of games... The card have a hard work ahead
pete910 Dec 11, 2022
Quoting: AnorelsanThe card have a hard work ahead

Shmerl Dec 13, 2022
From the new cards, here is a good option: https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/pulse-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-24g-gddr6

Last edited by Shmerl on 13 December 2022 at 6:00 pm UTC
whizse Dec 13, 2022
Play those games until the card melts! (No, wait, that's the Nvidia slogan?)

I got myself a 6600 XT. It was bought used so I guess it's likely been doing hard labor in the crypto mines. Fingers crossed that it will have a long leisurely life handling my much more recreational tasks.
Anorelsan Dec 15, 2022
Quoting: ShmerlFrom the new cards, here is a good option: https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/pulse-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-24g-gddr6

It's a very good card but I think it's to overkill for my old system. My actual card it's maybe a little overkill also but it's run so good under my linux box :) I have card for a long time.

Thanks!

Quoting: whizse

I got myself a 6600 XT. It was bought used so I guess it's likely been doing hard labor in the crypto mines. Fingers crossed that it will have a long leisurely life handling my much more recreational tasks.

I hope it runs good for a long time! It deserves a good gaming use :)

Last edited by Anorelsan on 15 December 2022 at 7:43 pm UTC
emphy Dec 16, 2022
Quoting: Anorelsan
Quoting: ShmerlFrom the new cards, here is a good option: https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/pulse-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-24g-gddr6

It's a very good card but I think it's to overkill for my old system. My actual card it's maybe a little overkill also but it's run so good under my linux box :) I have card for a long time.

Thanks!

Quoting: whizse

I hope it runs good for a long time! It deserves a good gaming use :)

This depends on your motherboard, but it may well be that, after a bios update, you can drop in a newer cpu, right up to a top-of-the-line 5800x3d, making that graphics card no longer overkill ^_^

Last edited by emphy on 16 December 2022 at 8:44 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.